Fuel filter change has gone horribly wrong! Please help!

Benjiman46

R-Tech Terrorist
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and decided to have a crack at changing the fuel filter as it hasn't been done for a while. Now, having never attempted a fuel filter on one of these cars before, I didn't know what to expect.

Anyway long story short, I unclipped the hoses after some amount of time persuading them off (by pressing in a clip and pulling off the hose) and come to put the new filter on... Now the pipes won't clip back on... They push on, but with a gentle pull they come off again :( what have I done?!

I need the car tomorrow urgently and no parts places are open.. What can I do? :-/

Car is a 2000 APY S3

Cheers in advance
Ben

are the clips still pressed in on the pipes? if so can you get them to pop out and then refit the pipe as this probably locks them on. I managed to change mine without pushing the clips in top remove the pipes and they clipped back on fine afterwards.

Thanks pal, I think I've broken the clips :-/ seems to be the thing everyone's saying on another forum -.-

Gutted i think someone else had this problem and have fixed it using circlips etc otherwise its off to the stealersto get new pipes probably...

if you have broken the clips your need new pipes. as they will pop off under pressure (i did the same on my corsa first filter i ever did)

unless like above you can find some way to bodge the pipes on to stop them coming off

how have you broken them mate? are they visually broken?

it's possible, that due to crap build up, you've pushed the button in, and it's just stuck in. I'd be looking to give the clips a good clean and get the button working again, then re try

Have you pushed the clips fully home? sometimes the rubber seals inside the clips go a bit dry and make it hard for them to fully engage... a little wd40 sprayed into the clip or a little smear of vasaline on the filter helps it slide in better (fnarr!)

If there are no visiable signs of the clip being broken (pics would help) then it sounds like its not fully engaging...

<tuffty/>

nope its fine mate, there is no pattent part for the fuel line so its got to come from audi and i believe its 60 odd quid :-/

my bodge cost me 8 pound :)

nope its fine mate, there is no pattent part for the fuel line so its got to come from audi and i believe its 60 odd quid :-/
my bodge cost me 8 pound :)

Reactions: Benjiman46