Rear end rattle

s5joe

Reaction score
Hi guys i ahve got a rattle from the rear end n/s and its puzleing me its not the heat sheild on the exhaust or the rear back box and i am getting to the end of the options with it. Thanks joe

My rear exhast braket broke of might be that,mayby the little clip that holds the handbrake cable,rear disc sheild,loose rear pad caliper sticking?,best to get a free exhaust check from say qwik-fit then just have a look underneath,might be simple.

funny you should say that i am getting a knock when i am putting my foot on the brakes from the same side i was goin to have a look today but the weather no chance

When my top rear arm, snapped that rattled, but the car drove pretty normal. may be worth a check.

yer it might as its only doin it over bumps when goin slow but i dont have the windows open when goin any quicker than 20mph

My tie arm sounded like a wheel nut had come off and was ratteling around under the centre cap. does it sound like that?

Reactions: s5joe
Here we go mate. Just whip the rear wheel off you will know straight away.

reardisk.jpg

My rattling was the rear brake pads, hadn't been fitted properly with the shims, you'll ony notice them start to rattle though once they've worn down a fair bit. It can be quite common.

It was a horrendous noise on the outside, I though it was the exhaust.

Well I think it is them as it was doing it today and put the handbrake on and it stopped so new pads I think.