Ground Wire by the headunit??

Paradox1

Reaction score
Anyone know of which wire would be ground? im installing a boost gauge directly above the headunit but im not hot on electrics so thought id ask here.
on the gauge there is 3 wire, Black,red and orange

IMAG0248.jpg

Ive been told i need to join the red and orange to the grey/blue on the headunit as its for the dimmer switch.
But before i do that i wanted me make sure i doing everything right

which of these wires are ground?

IMAG0247.jpg

How did you get on with this?
Im not an electrician; i would hazard a guess at the brown wire but have you checked the user manual?

ground is usually either green or green and yellow

so guessing on your boost gauge Red = Positive, Black = Neutral, Orange = Ground (no other choice left)

Thanks for the comments lads,had a look on Google in the meantime and it came up saying black goes to Brown, red goes to grey/blue and orange is redundant.will give it a try 2mz unless anyone has autogauge boost gauge already fitted

ground is usually either green or green and yellow

so guessing on your boost gauge Red = Positive, Black = Neutral, Orange = Ground (no other choice left)

I don't think you're right, I would of said black is ground and orange is illumination which is why you need to connect that to the red wire as it needs power.

I don't think you're right, I would of said black is ground and orange is illumination which is why you need to connect that to the red wire as it needs power.

Am just going buy what standard wiring usually is like in a plug etc.

Your suggestion could well be right though as i have never wired up a boost gauge before.

which of these wires are ground?

IMAG0247.jpg

Do you not have the manual for the head unit as that will normally tell you what wires are what?
I would say the brown is the ground and red/whites are constant 12v and the yellow/red is ignition live.
I personally would be using a multimeter to find out what's what so I get it right first time without shorting anything out.

Am just going buy what standard wiring usually is like in a plug etc.

Your suggestion could well be right though as i have never wired up a boost gauge before.

I thought you might of gone by house electrics when you said neutral, cars don't have neutral wires as i believe they are for AC current only.