S3 subframe bushes.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all,
Still hunting my knock down (may remember my previous threads)
Come across the 034 motorsport solid subframe bushes.
Does anyone have experience with these?.
Or know of a Uk distributer?.

Currently they are only $49 and look a doddle to fit so worth a punt.

cheers

[*A google search shows someone called "Issim" can supply 034 parts to the uk?.. is that INA-Engineering off here?]

I use the 034 subframe bushes.

I use the bushes on my company project car (mk4 golf r32) along with the density top mounts. These mods have really sorted the front end out.

front subframe bushes? struggling to believe these are the cause of any knocking noise.

links to the previous threads on your noises?

Far too many to list links to murran,
Effectively i have done ( from top to bottom)
*Topmounts and bearings
*Shocks and springs
*Track rods and rod ends
*R32 front ARB, and bushes
*Steering rack and dogbone bush
*Balljoints, and wishbone bushes

And also tightened up the steering column bearings.

Its an intermittant knock from the osf somewhere, can feel it through the steering wheel, also theres freeplay on the steering.
I cant see where else it can be, other than the subframe, steering rack or steeing column itself.
So the next cheapest option is: Subframe bushes - solid ones should eliminate any movement.

I just read a post by tuffty, that all mk4's suffer from play in the column UJ!.
Anyone ever had one apart?

ive a rear bearing gone sounds bad! is the a hub+bearing you can buy??mk1 a3.. as mrcsw answed my relpy ealyer{thanks} ad after get it pressed in ??? dont no much about this as ad rather ask b4 a go to stealers!!

Ill reply in the thread you made weelo.

Well ive just ordered some solid subframe bushes from hektor, £63 delivered, i was going to buy the 034 ones but it was like $70 just for delivery so went with hektor.

I too have a knocking/clunking from the passenger side, took it to a garage and they believe its the collies, so their swapping the drivers side and vis versa to see if it cures it but im also fitting the subframe bushes at the same time, ill keep you updated as its in on the 12th june.

Wehey, Not long to wait.... Ill wait for your verdict before ordering.

Nonworries mate. Only thig im unsure on is wether or not to change the subframe bolts! Hektor says they should be fine but my cars 12 year old now and the subs been dropped a few time so think i may replace for peace of mind.

I think thats what he's planning on making Ronin.

When i get them out i'll get some dimensions over, what time frame are you looking at for the rears?
I also have a set of the 034 front ones i havnt fitted yet if you want these dimensions

I just read a post by tuffty, that all mk4's suffer from play in the column UJ!.
Anyone ever had one apart?

I changed the column on my old A3 8L TDI quattro, and it wasn't a bad job all told.

The part itself was pretty expensive, even from VAGPARTS (who I think don't trade anymore?), approx £300 IIRC.

Apart from removing the airbag and steering wheel, it was mostly trim removal and then bolts etc. Bit of a cramped space to work though.

Cured the knocking and play in the steering I had, mine started to go bad before 100k, but was fine until it was written off at 189k.

Reactions: Y83OLK
When i get them out i'll get some dimensions over, what time frame are you looking at for the rears?
I also have a set of the 034 front ones i havnt fitted yet if you want these dimensions

Theres only one set of subframe bushes... Which are what 034 list for the rear.
The front of the subframe has no bushes... It just a hole through the steel.

127703693.jpg

I spoke to a mate about these who used to work for VW Racing and he reckoned they'd be "too hard for the road"?

I'm not sure I agree with him though, every car I've had in the past has had hard mounted subframe and I'm not sure why you'd not hard mount the parts the suspension and engine are fixed to :/

Theres only one set of subframe bushes... Which are what 034 list for the rear.
The front of the subframe has no bushes... It just a hole through the steel.

127703693.jpg

These 4 mounts on the rear subframe are what im talking about
2012-06-02151233.jpg

Never heard of the rear ones been changed mate, only the front subframe rear ones are what the solid bushes are for.

Never heard of the rear ones been changed mate, only the front subframe rear ones are what the solid bushes are for.

Those two mounts behind the wishbone bushes, is that where you'd fit those rigid collar goodies?

I didn't know there were no front subframe mounts, just called a parts supplier now looking for some as I could only get the rears - now I understand why...

I also think that they should be solid, but went for the OE replacements due to cost considerations.

JB

Still hunting my knock down (may remember my previous threads)
Come across the 034 motorsport solid subframe bushes.

Have you had chance to order/fit the solid bushes? If so, have they cured your knock?

I'm experiencing the same ongoing problem and have replaced much the same as you! Thinking of getting a camera under there somehow, to see exactly where it's coming from. I've been told it's coming from the offside but am running out of parts to replace (and money!).

If you solve your knock, please let us know :)

I had a similar knock under very hard braking and accelerating on uneven surfaces.

i fitted some 034 solid bushes from Hektor, and it solved my problems :)

Dead easy to fit, nice simply bit of kit that does exactly what it should.

I'd recommend them for sure, and Eddie (Hektor) was incredibly helpful, even taking my order on a Sunday as I was impatient!

Reactions: HEKTOR
Haha they're selling 034's product ($49) for $104! Nice markup they have there. Doubt they pay retail either. Crazy for something that must take minutes to produce and hardly much R&D to do.

I'll get them from 034 :)

Hey, I know the thread is reeeaaaallly old, but does anyone know where to get these still apart from 034?

My A3 is due to have coilovers fitted, looks like it needs new front subframe bushes so thought it may be better to do this!