Serviced Forge 007P and changed the spring...

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Not posted for a while just been lurking and following what you guys are up to as managed to screw my back up so not been doing much other than laying down lol.

So as i had managed to get a service kit from Forge for my 007p for free a while back i decided that i should really change the green spring to a yellow as i am running stg1 revo.

So quick trip to Ebay and i found you could buy the yellow spring for £12.50 or the full Spring kit (all 4 springs and 3 shims) for £22.43 i thought i may as well get the kit. ordered yesterday at about 3pm arrived today at 8am!! so took my 007p off the car and found a quick service guide on google.

Servicing is pretty straight forward just clean up all old grease and check the condition of the 3 o-rings and the piston. In the service kit you get a bag of new grease a replacement piston and a set of o-rings.

After i had cleaned it all up (only been on the car 6-7k) i used the new o-rings and piston (why not) and re-assembled the 007p using a light coating of the red grease supplied on the o-rings and the outside of the piston. I put the new yellow spring in and put the top back on, to test functionality i depressed the piston using my finger (harder to do now with the yellow spring) and covered the nipple on the tip of the 007p with my finger. you should see the piston drop about 5mm and then hold fast (if it moves you have a leak and need to re-fit). Once you remove your finger you should see the piston close nice and fast and smoothly. do this a few times to make sure its consistant and then re-fit to the car.

Voila a serviced 007p with a stronger spring :)

very nice, i have a 008 only been running it a few week, its lovely, i got a yellow and a blue spring spare, dont suppose you know what spring it has in as standard and should i change to the yellow? Thanks

very nice, i have a 008 only been running it a few week, its lovely, i got a yellow and a blue spring spare, dont suppose you know what spring it has in as standard and should i change to the yellow? Thanks

Hello mate,

Its something i have been meaning to do for a while now but just havnt pulled my finger out, Supposedly they all come with green springs unless you state otherwise as this is the standard spring. The yellow spring is stronger so is better for cars that have had a basic stage 1 remap like my car.

here is the spring info listed with the kit i bought :

Valve Spring color coding

Green - 5-15 PSI

Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red - 30 + PSI

So if you have had a remap i would chuck the yellow spring in as you have it.

nice, ill get the yellow one in when i get the thing mapped :) cheers

I have just ordered a yellow spring for mine as the 007p is only a few months old. I have an ongoing niggly boost leak/hissing noise somewhere (sounds like its from the 007p if i'm honest). My car is stage 1 mapped and i think the standard green spring is just not strong enough as the hissing sound appears when on high boost pressures. If it isn't the issue, atleast i have a stronger spring and it hasn't cost me the earth.

Any improvement on yours with the yellow spring fitted?

Shaun.

My 007p is still on my kitchen table waiting to go back on the car so no idea if its made any difference yet.

If your 007p is less than 12months old and you have the receipt email forge (address on their website) and ask for a service kit FOC as you think yours is leaking air. This way when you change the spring you can make sure its all working right as maybe the piston isnt releasing correctly or has a leak.

My 007p is still on my kitchen table waiting to go back on the car so no idea if its made any difference yet.

If your 007p is less than 12months old and you have the receipt email forge (address on their website) and ask for a service kit FOC as you think yours is leaking air. This way when you change the spring you can make sure its all working right as maybe the piston isnt releasing correctly or has a leak.

Unfortunately, i don't have a receipt as it didnt but the 007p new....i got it from a forum member who was selling his car, so returned back to standard after only having it 2 months.

I will see what the yellow spring does for it, if no change i will get a service kit and service it for peace of mind.

Shaun.

i didnt have to give any form of receipt to the Forge guy for my service kit he just aksed where i bought it from and how old it was so might be worth sending them an email and seeing if you can be cheeky and get a kit out of them.

When you take the 007p off to install the yellow spring just check its functionality like i said in my first post (last paragraph) as that should tell you if its leaking or not at least.

I have just ordered a yellow spring for mine as the 007p is only a few months old. I have an ongoing niggly boost leak/hissing noise somewhere (sounds like its from the 007p if i'm honest). My car is stage 1 mapped and i think the standard green spring is just not strong enough as the hissing sound appears when on high boost pressures. If it isn't the issue, atleast i have a stronger spring and it hasn't cost me the earth.

Any improvement on yours with the yellow spring fitted?

Shaun.
hiya sorry to butt in but i have a 007p on my car that i think has been mapped im getting boost leak and when i drive it hard it dumps less and sounds as though its leaking it via the dv? do you think it could be the spring as mines the green one?i say i think its been mapped as it does pull extremly well for a well for a 150 bhp car.

If its a forge 007p first off check its functionality as I said earlier if you do this and it's ok an your sure you have no other boost leaks then you could try a different spring as it won't hurt anything but if the spring is too strong the dv won't open.

I've got an AGU that's had a generic stage 1 motech map (circa 180bhp approx) with a 007p and standard (green) spring fitted, just wondering if you guys think it'll make any difference fitting the yellow spring?

Im also tempted to look into a 008p but do any of you guys think there will be a difference at all between this and my current 007p?

Cheers,

Dibdub1

From what I can gather, any car that has been mapped should be running the yellow spring, to cope with the extra boost pressure. Apparently, the LCR boys commonly run yellow springs on standard maps too and not had any complaints....hope this helps?

What he said :)

Look at the list of psi ratings and spring combo`s i posted earlier

Oh and RE: the 008 as far as i am aware it doesnt offer enough extra advantage over the 007p for the price. If you were going from standard DV to a forge then you could jump straight to the 008 if your feeling extra flush with your cash

Any time u remap the car the yellow spring is best and works better, i had it on my stage 1 and running yellow withmy stage 2 and will run it with my ko4 unless told otherwise

Ive never known how the spring makes a difference as the boost pressure doesnt work against the spring unless youve got it fitted the other way round. The boost is hitting the side of the piston as standard....

Ive never known how the spring makes a difference as the boost pressure doesnt work against the spring unless youve got it fitted the other way round. The boost is hitting the side of the piston as standard....

Doesnt the little vacuum pipe on the top operate the piston opening and closing the valve. Hence more psi need a stronger spring to open the valve.

Was in jbs designs last weekend in Chesterfield and the lad there described it to us like post above an recommended any stag 1 has yellow spring. "........ So as above.......

Thanks a lot for that guys!

Ill look into changing my spring to a yellow one then!

Now, I don't suppose anyone has a yellow one going spare that they fancy selling me, do they?

:p

Thanks a lot for that guys!

Ill look into changing my spring to a yellow one then!

Now, I don't suppose anyone has a yellow one going spare that they fancy selling me, do they?

:p

Very much doubt it, but i would always suggest buying stuff like this new...so you know it hasn't become weak over time. I've just ordered one of eBay.

Shaun.

Yeh buy new there only a few quid, my mate was having his remapped that's why we were at jbs and he put in a yellow one for free and did him a green panel filter half price! Think I've seen yellow springs for about a tenner delivered or 4 variations for like £22.....

I now have 2 green springs lol,

Yeah ebay have a forge seconds dealer that sells the yellow spring for £12.50 or do as i did and you can find the whole 007p spring kit including 3 shims to adjust the springs even more for £22 inc p+p.

dont forget if you swap the spring yiu may aswell servive the DV too and make sure its working correctly before re-install

Iv a tip and remap, and ghe std DV, what's the advantage of the forge 007p?
Thanks

Doesnt the little vacuum pipe on the top operate the piston opening and closing the valve. Hence more psi need a stronger spring to open the valve.

The spring stops the valve from opening though....Its the vacuum off throttle that opens the valve so boost levels shouldnt make any difference? A stronger spring would only make it harder for the vacuum to open the valve.

Only reason I can think of for a stronger spring was if you had the dv the other way around and the boost was pushing against the valve/spring.

The spring stops the valve from opening though....Its the vacuum off throttle that opens the valve so boost levels shouldnt make any difference? A stronger spring would only make it harder for the vacuum to open the valve.

Only reason I can think of for a stronger spring was if you had the dv the other way around and the boost was pushing against the valve/spring.

I get your meaning and i am no expert on turbos and DV`s etc but my limited knowledge says to me that if you ingrease the PSI eg with a remap etc then the vacuum to the top of the DV has more strength so if you have a weker spring the valve can open too easily therefore a stronger spring is needed to keep it closed until the vacuum can open it.

there must be a reason that they have PSI rated springs etc for different setups.

Had mine in for a few days now but not noticed much difference really but then again i have not really been testing performance gonna fit my jetex incution kit in a mo so will see if the 2 together compliment each other