Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bumble is poorly....

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I think we need a real world comparison mr Welly boots

Nice work chaps!
    Real world comparison plus a beer dude, when are you going to come down and see me?!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    OK then, so a few weeks have been and gone.... and a few little updates.

Engine has now done 2100 miles, and of those miles, about 90% have been hard miles. Back running on fully synthetic 5w 40 after 1000 miles and is smooth as silk. Apart from the rattling gearbox from the stupidly light flywheel.

With regard to the flywheel and clutch setup, the lightweight flywheel makes the box chatter like mad. Embarrassing at traffic lights to be fair, as it sound like the engine will soon fall out. However, it has made a significant improvement on off boost driving. It will climb hills much better now than it did.

Driving the thing with that flywheel is not so easy. Revs drop out of gear VERY fast as the flywheel slows down much faster than a DMF. Also, it revs up stupidly fast, making pulling off quite tricky to not sound like a retard who can't drive.

Benefits? Up hills is the only real benefit I can really confirm. Power and delivery doesn't seem much different, if there is any it's marginal. Also nice to be able to tell people you have a billet ally lightweight flywheel. And it looks cool - when in the box on the side. Which isn't really a plus.

Downsides? Noise - Lots of. Makes pulling away a bit of a sod.

All in all? Don't bother. Stick with OEM DMF or aftermarket heavy SMF like Westy uses.

On another note, was sad when this lump was down on power compared to the last one - however I did find a rather huge air leak on ports 1 and 2 on the inlet manifold.... which is now resolved. Also the turbo/downpipe gasket is blowing quite considerably following the turbo coming on and off repeatedly to get it to seal... which will be resolved on Monday.

Needs mapping properly, but that's waiting on me to fit the new lambda probe - also on Monday.

Finally, it turns out my old block was perfect. I have since rebuilt that for a mate who spat a crank cap out of the side of his block... The engine now runs happily without the tapping I experienced on mine... Looks like that gudeon was the culprit after all.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I like happy endings
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Down under

Status
    I wonder what causes the chatter? Imbalance? It's only something I've heard about with 1.8Ts. Can you get round it by adjusting the idle compensation in vcds?
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    I wonder what causes the chatter? Imbalance? It's only something I've heard about with 1.8Ts. Can you get round it by adjusting the idle compensation in vcds?
    Yeah, it is imbalance in the crank, however it's actually the gearbox that chatters, not the flywheel. Bloody annoying none the less...
    Homer Simpson

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    VAG tdi lumps do it too on a light SMF flywheel, as does my Mini engine, so it's not just a 20vt thing Sam, just that the Audi snobs are the only people that care enough to mention it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    VAG tdi lumps do it too on a light SMF flywheel
    As if you could hear it over the TDI engine
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Its generally worse My mates Fabia VRS sounds aweful with a SMF. He just has to sit around with the clutch in constantly and even then you have hear it. If he knocks it into neutral then as Welly described it sounds like the engine is about to drop out or you expect the flywheel to shoot through the bonnet any minute lol.

Ah the joys of single mass as standard. Put in the lightest possible fly and doesnt make a peep

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Its generally worse My mates Fabia VRS sounds aweful with a SMF. He just has to sit around with the clutch in constantly and even then you have hear it. If he knocks it into neutral then as Welly described it sounds like the engine is about to drop out or you expect the flywheel to shoot through the bonnet any minute lol.

Ah the joys of single mass as standard. Put in the lightest possible fly and doesnt make a peep
    I'd think twice about doing it again. The benefits vs the noise? Hmmm, not sure.
    Homer Simpson

Status
    I cant recommend my SMF enough. It must be a weight thing then as opposed to a SM thing as mine only chatters very very slightly on rare occasions when in neutral.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I cant recommend my SMF enough. It must be a weight thing then as opposed to a SM thing as mine only chatters very very slightly on rare occasions when in neutral.
    Agree, I didn't make myself clear enough on that. I meant to do with the lightweight flywheel. I mentioned the one you had in post 242 as I know it's been spot on for you
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Damn! I've gone for the VR6/G60 smf set-up on my A3.. I'm seriously worried now, as the last thing I want is a noisy and difficult car to drive, albeit one of the main reasons I purchased the Audi was the refined feel compared to driving tractors.

Status
    what sort of weight is your alloy flywheel Wellyboots? and you Westicles?

my lightened smf on the track car is around 6kg, and I don't really have any noise from it at all. A tiny bit maybe but nothing anyone has ever noticed or commented on at all
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy 1.8t View Post
    Damn! I've gone for the VR6/G60 smf set-up on my A3.. I'm seriously worried now, as the last thing I want is a noisy and difficult car to drive, albeit one of the main reasons I purchased the Audi was the refined feel compared to driving tractors.
    Ignore all of the above. perfect setup for an a3, and you won't hear a thing.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Prawn: it seems to depend on the tranny.

Boxes that were designed to be used with SMF's seem to handle them much better than ones designed for DMF use.

Presumably the A3 5speed box is an older design carried forward from when the transverse cars all ran SMF's, and the 6 speed in the S3/TDi is newer and thus suffers more as it was designed to be used with dual mass.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Mine weighted in at 10KGS. Not sure what the weight of an OEM DMF is but Awesome said that the SMF was weighted similarly to keep the pedal feel etc.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Mines not bad as the idle was adjusted a tad but it really doesn't bother me the sound of it
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Status
    Ignore all of the above. perfect setup for an a3, and you won't hear a thing.
    AGree completely, my mate runs this on an AGU MK4 and it's perfect for it.
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status

Bumble is poorly....

Mine only chatters occasionally when the engine is put under load mainly when air con is on and when idling in neutral, besides that never notice a peep
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Status

my lightened smf on the track car is around 6kg, and I don't really have any noise from it at all. A tiny bit maybe but nothing anyone has ever noticed or commented on at all
    Mine is a T6 aluminium billet weighing in at 3.7 KG.
    Homer Simpson

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Mines not bad as the idle was adjusted a tad but it really doesn't bother me the sound of it
    I may up my idle slightly as well to compensate, see if it helps.
    Homer Simpson

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Presumably the A3 5speed box is an older design carried forward from when the transverse cars all ran SMF's, and the 6 speed in the S3/TDi is newer and thus suffers more as it was designed to be used with dual mass.
    That certainly seems to be the case.
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Great! I can stop worrying then.

I'm guessing, but there shouldn't be any difference between the AGU/AUM boxes?
    Last edited by andy 1.8t; 4th September 2012 at 13:05. Reason: Yet another question!!!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy 1.8t View Post
    Great! I can stop worrying then.

I'm guessing, but there shouldn't be any difference between the AGU/AUM boxes?
    AUM use an 02M box thats either 5 or 6 speed IIRC... AGU use an 02J box...

Prawn (our resident gearbox expert for all the wrong reasons lol) can confirm either way

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    Aum is also an 02j. Some early agu's had 100mm flanges, late agu's and aum's have 108mm flanged 02j boxes.
    02m is a 6 speed box.

The 02j is almost identical to the old 02a box, this didn't run a DMF so I'd imagine this is why the 02j is seemingly happy with a smf.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    02M was available as 5 speed too IIRC?... have seen this fitted to the A3 TQS

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    What box do s3's have?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    What box do s3's have?
    02M

<tuffty/>

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    Aum is also an 02j. Some early agu's had 100mm flanges, late agu's and aum's have 108mm flanged 02j boxes.
    02m is a 6 speed box.

The 02j is almost identical to the old 02a box, this didn't run a DMF so I'd imagine this is why the 02j is seemingly happy with a smf. ��
    this is exactly what I was about to post, almost word for word.

All FWD A3's had an 02j. some TQS had 02M 5 speeds and some had 02M 6 speeds.

Andy, you'll be absolutely fine, your ABF flywheel will weigh around 10kg stock. Mine is 6kg and I have no issues.

Wellys billet flywheel is mental light :S

Status
    Another side note, are all s3 boxs the same? Apy vs amk/bam's? Ive been offered a s3 box/transfer box and prop shaft for less than 100 sheets, seems a very good idea to stock pile it for a rebuild lol.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Another side note, are all s3 boxs the same? Apy vs amk/bam's? Ive been offered a s3 box/transfer box and prop shaft for less than 100 sheets, seems a very good idea to stock pile it for a rebuild lol.
    you hang around with dave much?

Status
    As far as I know all S3 boxes are the same.

too many gears and a rear facing output that's of no use to anyone

Status
    Lmao, look you never know when yo may need one, plus ive been looking into the idea of using the gears from a drw/erf gearbox .

Status
    Blah blah, your only jealous cos you aint got a comfy, lard arsed s3 haha.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    As far as I know all S3 boxes are the same.

too many gears and a rear facing output that's of no use to anyone
    prawny you're sounding more and more like jardo nowadays!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    you hang around with dave much?
    Says Mr fossilized trailing arm bushes ...... by the time you fit them,your car will collapse in a pile of dust...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    prawny you're sounding more and more like jardo nowadays!
    Just bored superK. main difference is, I don't believe all the bullsh*t!

Status
    Dont think he dare fit them after last time haha

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Says Mr fossilized trailing arm bushes ...... by the time you fit them,your car will collapse in a pile of dust...
    lmao

Just bored superK. main difference is, I don't believe all the bullsh*t!
    im bored too, hence all the abuse lol

Dont think he dare fit them after last time haha
    this was the case, now im just lazy and struggle to find the time. It HAS to be done for ADI tho.

Status
    Honestly mate its easy, after the indys did mine and said they just fell out id wish id done them to save me some cash

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast