Front Aero Wipers - Better or Worse than standard wipers?

Which one???

• Total voters

AL_B

Reaction score
Been thinking about this mod for a while, as my passenger side standard wiper never clears the screen properly, and the drivers side squeaks at high speed.

So for those who have performed the Aero wipers mod, what do you think, better or worse than standard?

Al, if the cost doesn't hurt, I'd say do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I tested my Aero-Wipers by hitting the washer @ 200kph and while they missed about 1/2 an inch on the end, they still cleared the screen, whereas the std wipers would lift completely off by 160kph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The only thing I'd add is that replacements are a bit dearer. Over here it's about €40 for a new set of fronts, and (IIRC) about €15 for a new Touran blade on the rear.

HTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
whats IIRC mean? areowipers are better btw , any1 know where best place to get the replacement blades?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I Remember Correctly

I was getting an annoying wind noise from the windscreen area, changed to aero wipers and all is quiet, plus they do stay on the screen at higher speeds.

I ordered my Aero wipers this week from VAG-Parts. I will do a before and after comparison with pictures when I get them.

Where do you guys buy your replacement blades? And how much?

I love the aero wipers in terms of functionality and looks as they sit flatter on the screen

next question (albeit for an A4). Got the aerowipers through the post. Does anyone have any instructions to replace the old wipers?

feck. Managed to remove the nut, but the arm is not coming off. I've tried wiggling it while trying my best to maintain upwards pressure, but the whole spindle just rocks backwards and forwards a few mm with the arm. Any ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
Do they do wipers to fit both passenger and drivers side?

Also do you have to replace the arms if so what are part numbers for arms
Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think my pics only show the drivers side cause I wanted to test them out before swapping both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I used a spanner to lever the old wipers off, as they were literally welded on! Place one end on the end of the spindle and the other under the edge of the old wipers and yank away, make sure the wipers are lifted off the screen of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

fitting is easy, heres what u do step by step:

Fronts,

Lift bonnet, remove black caps that cover the nuts, use spanner and slaken do not fully remove, do this for the two nuts, drop bonnet down (do not fully close it) then put ignition on put wiper on and when they reach vertical point stop them by turning ignition off.

Once wipers are in upright position, pull the wipers back (ie like ya gonna wash ya car, lol) then gently riggle the wiper from off the nut, reapeat same for other front wiper.

Mine came off a bit easy or easier for the fact that its a 2003 model so the wipers arent rusted/bonded to the bolt, if u know what i mean, word off warning tho, just be careful when wiggle the wiper arm off because u end up very close to the windscreen, so just be careful.

U still with me, lol.

Next up, wipers are now off, put ignition back on make sure the wiper position is back to normal,
keep your eye on the motor bit so's u know u have it in the right place.
Get the Aero wiper arms with blades already fixed to them, check that the blades are on the correct arms, think mine were bigger blade on the drivers side etc..

Riggle new arms onto bolts and get the angle lined up to where the old blades used to sit, put nuts on (use original ones u took off) u will need to lift bonnet once wipers are in place to tighten up nuts with ya spanner, don't over tighten just nip it then nip it again should be fine.

Then check to make sure wipers and washers work as normal.

Rear,
Pull off cap that cover the washer jet thingy, remove nut (in the aero kit u get a black nut, use this new nut instead off the original) same thing riggle off arm, dont have to centre arm or anything, once removed, position new arm/blade in the same position as old one nice and level, then put new black nut on and clip the jet cover over , JD job done, check the blade and washers work fine!!

Hope this helps matey!! If u need pics, i will takes some for u.

Cheers

Rich

Longevity..
The set of aeros that were on my car from new, I replaced at about 20,000 miles. I've done another 8000 or so on the new set and notice no deterioration at all yet..
Quite happy with that as a replacement interval, and to be fair they were only just starting to deteriorate at 20k.. perhaps I'm just fussy!

The only advice I have with Aeros - dont use RainEx!! Mine really really didnt like it, and went from perfectly smooth to judder judder judder..

Nice one Rich, I'll be changing my wipers during the week so cheers for the instructions.
I'll do some pics and will post them too.

[ QUOTE ]
Nice one Rich, I'll be changing my wipers during the week so cheers for the instructions.
I'll do some pics and will post them too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs mate