Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Danman1

Thread: Fuel Filler

Neutral

Status

Fuel Filler

Hey guys
    Haven't been on here for a while, I don't know if this a common problem, I tried a search but couldn't find anything. Its probably a simple fix, I've ignored it up until now but I think its getting worse and really starting to piss me off now.

Basically when fuelling up the pump "clicks" off every few seconds, it's really starting to get on my nerves now and takes ages to fill up, It's also difficult to tell when its full for obvious reasons.

40p . . "CLICK" . . 90p . . "CLICK" . . £1.20 . . "CLICK" . . £1.50 . . "CLICK"

As you can probably guess, its pretty annoying

Was just wondering if anyone had seen this problem and had any simple fixes, I haven't gone poking around myself because I wanted to ask here first, I don't know if there's a filter in there something that want's clearing or what ever?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Stuart

2. # ADS
    ADS

Thorough noob

Status
    Have you tried different petrol stations? BP, Shell, Etc etc? Sorry if it sounds obvious.

Dan

Thorough noob

Status
    If it still keeps happening,

There's a little hose that runs from the tank to the filler housing, this is the breather tube and allows air to be displaced by the fuel entering the tank. If this tube gets clogged or comes disconnected then the air cannot escape and fuel can't enter the tank and in turn it acts like it's full.

Dan

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the replies, to be honest I live in a small village and the nearest petrol station 5-7 miles away. Its a relatively new BP garage and it is generally the place I fuel up, there are only a few around the town and they are in different areas.

So 90% of the time I fuel up from the same place, I've tried each and every pump and they are all the same.

Of the 10% of the time I fuel up somewhere else, I can't specifically remember how they act (because I haven't done it for a while) but I'm pretty sure its exactly the same.

Thorough noob

Status
    I'd just give the fuel filler cap a good clean. Autoglym Instant Tar Remover should be good to remove any caked on dirt/grease etc.

Neutral

Status
    Ok thanks, ill give it a go

Brum brum

Status
    I get this - two options:
    1. If you know how much space there is in the tank i.e. roughly how much fuel you'll get in, turn the nozzle through 180 degrees so the grip is now above the filler and fill the tank that way. But be warned, it won't lock off when the tank gets full hence knowing how much fuel you're putting in.
    2. Don't pull the trigger all the way in -hold it about halfway. That way you aren't pumping the fuel at full rate and there is less chance of it clicking off every 2 seconds as you describe. I think modern pumps can pump fuel at a much faster rate which is what causes the problems with the air unable to escape to keep up.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Neutral

Status
    Thanks
    I'll give the first option a go, lately I haven't been filling it right up.
    I have tried to vary the rate as which I put petrol in but it really doesn't make much of a difference, it will click off whether I hold it fully down or let it treacle in, the only difference is a couple of seconds

JBL
    Reverse Gear

Status
    my missis car does this, i pull the nozzle out about halfway and that works sometimes. Gota be worth a try!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks JBL, I've tried all that, It's obviously something in the filler stopping it go down as quickly as it should, hence why I said maybe a filter or some kind, and as Danman pointed it, it may well be the breather pipe.

3rd Gear

Status
    Lol, this has been happening to me off and on aswell. I found that turning the nozzle about 30 degrees clockwise means it doesn't happen anymore - don't know why, but I will clean that breather hose too just in case!

Neutral

Status
    Found a load of dried up crap covering the breather hole today so I'm betting that has something to do with it! Can I poor that Auto Glyme Tar Removal down to unblock the pipe? Or will that react with the petrol?

Thorough noob

Status
    I wouldn't pour it down no, I'd get a cotton wool bud and clean as much of the pipe outlet as you can so it looks clean. Then I'd try fill up. If it happens again you'll have to remove the breather pipe and clean it off from the car. I think it is accessible once the rear wheel and arch is removed, but CHECK the guides/manuals to make sure.

Neutral

Status
    Ok thanks, given it a clean up, will update next time I fuel up

Neutral

Status
    Well, I went to do a quick £10 top up today and it was perfect! :D Didn't click off once! I was soo chuffed, and all it was was a bit of dried up crap covering the hose

Thanks for the advice.

Thorough noob

Status
    Audisport.net = win
    Stuart Dobson likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Danman1 View Post
    Audisport.net = win
    that that man said

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Get this on my B7 A4. Gonna clean the breather hose and give it a try. I'm having to rotate the nozzles clockwise about 60 degrees to fill it up.

Anybody know if these are accessed from behind the arch liner?

1st Gear

Status
    Live in Ipswich Suffolk (orig from W London)
    Hi Dan

in that pic all you are showing is the water drain for the cap housing.

thats not the tank breather mate
    just stops you having a puddle of water round the cap when it's raining or being washed.

The tank is vented by a passage in the filler neck when your putting fuel in.

Regards
    Rick
    2001 Audi A3 (8L) 1.9Tdi SE 110 3d in Mineral Grey.
    18" TD 1.2s & Toyos, S3 Seats with Kufatec looms, JOM Coilovers, .240 Nozzles (HFLO-X),PD150 Turbo (GT1749VB) Malone tuning map,Pipercross Air Filter,PD150 inlet manifold,PD150 TiP,PD150 Maf, Darkside EGR Delete,Darkside Alloy Intercooler & Pipe kit,Darkside Turbo Oil feed pipe,11mm Pump, PD lift pump. Currently 188hp and 320lbft, Southbend SMF st2, milltek full system with golf 4mo tailpipes,S3bumpers,Liquid Gauge,VCDS Lite Registered

Neutral

Status
    LolI know this is a late reply but it seemed to work