Fuel Filler

Stuart Dobson

Reaction score
Hey guys
Haven't been on here for a while, I don't know if this a common problem, I tried a search but couldn't find anything. Its probably a simple fix, I've ignored it up until now but I think its getting worse and really starting to **** me off now.

Basically when fuelling up the pump "clicks" off every few seconds, it's really starting to get on my nerves now and takes ages to fill up, It's also difficult to tell when its full for obvious reasons.

40p . . "CLICK" . . 90p . . "CLICK" . . £1.20 . . "CLICK" . . £1.50 . . "CLICK"

As you can probably guess, its pretty annoying :)

Was just wondering if anyone had seen this problem and had any simple fixes, I haven't gone poking around myself because I wanted to ask here first, I don't know if there's a filter in there something that want's clearing or what ever?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

Have you tried different petrol stations? BP, Shell, Etc etc? Sorry if it sounds obvious.

Dan

If it still keeps happening,

There's a little hose that runs from the tank to the filler housing, this is the breather tube and allows air to be displaced by the fuel entering the tank. If this tube gets clogged or comes disconnected then the air cannot escape and fuel can't enter the tank and in turn it acts like it's full.

2012-05-27192919.jpg

Dan

Thanks for the replies, to be honest I live in a small village and the nearest petrol station 5-7 miles away. Its a relatively new BP garage and it is generally the place I fuel up, there are only a few around the town and they are in different areas.

So 90% of the time I fuel up from the same place, I've tried each and every pump and they are all the same.

Of the 10% of the time I fuel up somewhere else, I can't specifically remember how they act (because I haven't done it for a while) but I'm pretty sure its exactly the same.

I'd just give the fuel filler cap a good clean. Autoglym Instant Tar Remover should be good to remove any caked on dirt/grease etc.

I get this - two options:
1. If you know how much space there is in the tank i.e. roughly how much fuel you'll get in, turn the nozzle through 180 degrees so the grip is now above the filler and fill the tank that way. But be warned, it won't lock off when the tank gets full hence knowing how much fuel you're putting in.
2. Don't pull the trigger all the way in -hold it about halfway. That way you aren't pumping the fuel at full rate and there is less chance of it clicking off every 2 seconds as you describe. I think modern pumps can pump fuel at a much faster rate which is what causes the problems with the air unable to escape to keep up.

I'll give the first option a go, lately I haven't been filling it right up.
I have tried to vary the rate as which I put petrol in but it really doesn't make much of a difference, it will click off whether I hold it fully down or let it treacle in, the only difference is a couple of seconds :)

my missis car does this, i pull the nozzle out about halfway and that works sometimes. Gota be worth a try!

Thanks JBL, I've tried all that, It's obviously something in the filler stopping it go down as quickly as it should, hence why I said maybe a filter or some kind, and as Danman pointed it, it may well be the breather pipe.

Lol, this has been happening to me off and on aswell. I found that turning the nozzle about 30 degrees clockwise means it doesn't happen anymore - don't know why, but I will clean that breather hose too just in case!

Found a load of dried up crap covering the breather hole today so I'm betting that has something to do with it! Can I poor that Auto Glyme Tar Removal down to unblock the pipe? Or will that react with the petrol?

I wouldn't pour it down no, I'd get a cotton wool bud and clean as much of the pipe outlet as you can so it looks clean. Then I'd try fill up. If it happens again you'll have to remove the breather pipe and clean it off from the car. I think it is accessible once the rear wheel and arch is removed, but CHECK the guides/manuals to make sure.

Well, I went to do a quick £10 top up today and it was perfect! :D Didn't click off once! I was soo chuffed, and all it was was a bit of dried up crap covering the hose :)

Thanks for the advice. :)

Get this on my B7 A4. Gonna clean the breather hose and give it a try. I'm having to rotate the nozzles clockwise about 60 degrees to fill it up.

Anybody know if these are accessed from behind the arch liner?

Hi Dan

in that pic all you are showing is the water drain for the cap housing.

thats not the tank breather mate ;)
just stops you having a puddle of water round the cap when it's raining or being washed.

The tank is vented by a passage in the filler neck when your putting fuel in.

Regards
Rick