Rear tie arm snapped?

Oke Phill

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i had a knocking noise coming from the rear of my car, and i found this.

I have had a good search but i still have some questions that im unsure on. So far i have found out this could have been caused by a seized bearing at the end of the arm?

1st is the end of the arm that has snapped, is that the bearing?

2nd if so how do i get it out

3rd what is the actuall name of the rod that has snapped?

Any help would be great thanks.

reardisk.jpg

reardisk2.jpg

Thanks dave. My s3 is a 2000 plate im not sure if that is the face lift or not? Ill have to whip the hub off and get a new bearing and get it fitted by a garage. I have found a new arm already. All good fun a? lol.

There was an early recall on the rose joint thats all, unsure if it still stands after 12 years though.... probably not...

Ah i see, yeah no worries. Ill try get both sides sorted just to be sure. Thanks Mate.

Should see hairline cracks if its about to go but most people only notice after they break... worth checking tbh as this seems to be getting more common

<tuffty/>

nasty ill be checking mine tomorrow, do they just fail or do you get cracking/signs of wear

I was reading in another thread to listen for creaking, but i did not hear this, and i just had a rattle but that was when it snapped. gotta be worth a check tho bud.

Last edited:
One of mine snapped the other week! Would suggest to have a look around the fork in the bar for cracks/stress, I replaced both sides due to corrosion
Hope this helps :)

mmmm, i get creaking almost like a craking parcel shelf. so defo going to look. wouldnt want that happening in a corner or motorway thats for sure.

On a side note, what break setup you running? They look awesome.

One of mine snapped the other week! Would suggest to have a look around the fork in the bar for cracks/stress, I replaced both sides due to corrosion
Hope this helps :)

Did you replace the bearing as well?

On a side note, what break setup you running? They look awesome.

Porsche 4 pot rears, they are massive. Ill get a better pic up once i get home. The disks need a skim tho, just where it has been parked up.

What you done to retain the handbrake mate?

Also interested in these rear brakes
When i broke my S3 awhile ago i assume at the end of the tie arms it was just a bush, no bearing
I can also see how easily they can break as they arent very thick material

What you done to retain the handbrake mate?

Ill get you a pic of the hand brake, it has a extra bit on the bottom of them for it. autho it is ****e.lol. Ill post a pic up when i get back home tonight.

Also interested in these rear brakes
When i broke my S3 awhile ago i assume at the end of the tie arms it was just a bush, no bearing
I can also see how easily they can break as they arent very thick material

I thought it was strange as well, i thought it would be a bush and not a bearing. Ill find out for sure when i get it sorted on monday. They are not very thick at all, i was thinking of making up a re enforced set, may be as i am slightly nervous of this happening again.

I had a KW adjustable tie bar snap 2 years ago now - snapped straight through the threaded bar that provided the adjustment - something like 1/2inch solid steel!

It's the terrible state of our roads combined with the age of our cars means more and more failures like this.

Bit of a resualt, stripped this down today and the rose joint was siezed solid. But with a wire brush, wd40,grease,a bar and a big hammer i have sorted it out and it runs free again. Just going to go through the other joints tomos.

Any way here is a pic of the rear breaks i said i would put up, im thinking of getting the disks skimmed as they seem to have some rusty pits on the rear. Im gonna re furb the paint on them as well, just waiting for some stickers.

brake004.jpg

Gotta be pointless them being so big but awesome none the less! :)

I have thought that, still love em. random note I was supprised with how light the caliper was when i removed it, i recon they weigh less than my 106 dervs calipers which are tiny.lol.

What stup you got up front mate? You fit it all yourself mate?

What stup you got up front mate? You fit it all yourself mate?

Heres a pic of the front set up mate. When looking for this car/next project i tried to get a s3 with as much done as i could find to keep costs down in the long run (yeah right!) so i cant take any credit for gitting thr brakes as they were already there. they must of cost someone a pretty penny tho.

IMG_1406.jpg

Heres a pic of the front set up mate. When looking for this car/next project i tried to get a s3 with as much done as i could find to keep costs down in the long run (yeah right!) so i cant take any credit for gitting thr brakes as they were already there. they must of cost someone a pretty penny tho.

IMG_1406.jpg

From the person who bought them and fitted them on the car at qst I can tell you they cost a fortune lol. Handbrake always fails mot but just neededs tightening every time, 5 min job. Qst stopped making the rear kits after a few months due to the handbrake calip being useless so it's a pretty rare conversion, just ask kim

Lol! yeah the hand brake is a bit poo, im gonna get out and try and sort it this weekend, any tips would be nice Andy.:yes:

Lol! yeah the hand brake is a bit poo, im gonna get out and try and sort it this weekend, any tips would be nice Andy.:yes:

Always leave it in gear when you park :). Seriously a pair of players always works, it's pretty straight forward bud