Exhaust setup BAM 3"

Bootheman

Reaction score
02 s3 8l - BAM

Currently running a ATP eliminator kit with a 3" Stainless Steel mandrel bent dump-pipe back exhaust with straight through cat then into a standard s3 8l muffler.

Before I go ahead and swap the Audi muffler for a Remus or milltek should I expect it to be very dronny or much like other turbo cars quite until a certain rpm.

Or do I need to swap the straight cat for an offset cat and then the 3" muffler to reduce the drone .

I have heard some people say they are crisp after 3000rpm however almost unusable for daily use.

I travel 30,000kms + per year, I would like it loud but not deafening when it's not being pushed

That's what happens when u drink to much! I must say I can only just understand what I wrote and I wrote it!

Last edited:
Currently setup with a 3" dump - mandrel All the way to resi (3") straight to a stock muffler

What's a 3" sound muffler like?
I've heard flames
I've heard over 3000rpm is amazing !

In short I drive 30,000kms+ a year not after a drone but I like to push an hear what I'm driving is it worth it?

a-wtf-funny-23.jpg

Reactions: actualeddie
I think in every thread about exhausts we should refer to the backbox as the muffler, its just a miles better word. I'm looking forward to having a high flow muffler :haha:

Reactions: Benjiman46
I suspect the OP is asking about the benefits of a 3" system, how it would sound on a day to day basis and the if there is the prospect of flames...

As someone with a 3" system I can say this... the sound is subjective to the size of any boxes (or mufflers)... the small back box was loud and sounded fantastic on boost (4k for me rather than 3k of the K04 guys) but was aweful to live with on a journey... with a Milltek back box (large muffler... fnarr!) on there its nice to drive with normally and sounds very nice indeed under boost... as for flames.... thats subject to mapping (richening up) and a decat...

<tuffty/>

haha, I thought the first post was pretty clear too westy!

Ok, so it wasn't exactly clear, but you could still understand it!

What the hell is Back box
Edit above

Last edited:
He wrote back box not black box, back box as in the bit the last part of the system goes through before the tail pipes (bits that stick out the rear) lol

Chris.

So in the UK

A Cat is a front box?
A muffler is a back box?

What do you call a hot dog?

Mmmm a hot dog is a slim resonator

Last edited:
Australia has some very weird names for car bits and infact well, everything.

Petrol station = servo
Carburetter = carby
Muffler = exhaust silencer

I can't think of any others (had a few beers) but they're random to say the least. Loads of pronunciations are nicked from the yanks too.

im laughing so hard at your lots comments,

days i really didnt know the oz race was so backwards with there words, i think you lot live to close to america, becasue they talk **** too,

we dont call a cat a front box, its manifold,downpipe,cat,middle box, back box, kinda simple explination of the areas that they go, calling a back and middle box a muffler confusses things but then americans allways have, there way of explaining things via talk or text is messed up!

any way id like to hear how a 3" sounds with a decent set up of mid and rear boxes, sorry grower and muffler sounds, give it 3 months and ill have one on, but not sure which way to go, 2.5 for lower sound and lower end tourqe or 3" for some nice sound and future ready for ko4 or gt28rs kit

im laughing so hard at your lots comments,

days i really didnt know the oz race was so backwards with there words, i think you lot live to close to america, becasue they talk **** too,

we dont call a cat a front box, its manifold,downpipe,cat,middle box, back box, kinda simple explination of the areas that they go, calling a back and middle box a muffler confusses things but then americans allways have, there way of explaining things via talk or text is messed up!

any way id like to hear how a 3" sounds with a decent set up of mid and rear boxes, sorry grower and muffler sounds, give it 3 months and ill have one on, but not sure which way to go, 2.5 for lower sound and lower end tourqe or 3" for some nice sound and future ready for ko4 or gt28rs kit

Half of the UKs population are Chav's

Last edited:
what are EPA laws?

We have to run a cat in the UK due to laws and strick emissions testing, but most people dont"!

Massive hot spot there Marty, mine had a short 2.25'' section in the middle for a while, and you could see the heat build up on the pipe by a colour change on the smaller section

My 3" system (with the small back box/muffler thingy)
20091121_IMG_3923.jpg

Although it now has a Milltek rear/back/muffler/box/fnarr thingy on it to make it quieter in the car :)

Was going to just run a complete straight through system at one point ;P
20091121_IMG_3909.jpg

<tuffty/>

Prawn:1590470 said:
Massive hot spot there Marty, mine had a short 2.25'' section in the middle for a while, and you could see the heat build up on the pipe by a colour change on the smaller section

Yeah I know,soo ****** off about it. If you planning on buildung a 3 inch let me know, all I need is a straight pipe and it will be fine

My 3" system (with the small back box/muffler thingy)
20091121_IMG_3923.jpg

Although it now has a Milltek rear/back/muffler/box/fnarr thingy on it to make it quieter in the car :)

Was going to just run a complete straight through system at one point ;P
20091121_IMG_3909.jpg

<tuffty/>

PMSL - absolute quality !!!

Tuffty is your rear box - muffler a offset 3"?

No mate... was a straight through 3" to 2 x 2.5"...
20091119_IMG_3901.jpg

20091119_IMG_3904.jpg

20100320_IMG00012-20100320-1510.jpg

Sounded horrible on cruise in the car.... droned like a good un... so replaced it with a Milltek
20100320_IMG00003-20100320-1111.jpg

Much nicer... had the mod the box a bit to fit the 3" though...
20100320_IMG00019-20100320-1727.jpg

<tuffty/>

&lt;tuffty/&gt;:1590866 said:
Tuffty is your rear box - muffler a offset 3"?

No mate... was a straight through 3" to 2 x 2.5"...
20091119_IMG_3901.jpg

20091119_IMG_3904.jpg

20100320_IMG00012-20100320-1510.jpg

Sounded horrible on cruise in the car.... droned like a good un... so replaced it with a Milltek
20100320_IMG00003-20100320-1111.jpg

Much nicer... had the mod the box a bit to fit the 3" though...
20100320_IMG00019-20100320-1727.jpg

<tuffty/>

Tuffty, what's your views? I'm really tempted to get 3 inch all the way back to the muffler,back box.

same as, dont mind a bit of drone as dont do long travling. but as its classed as a family car i dont want it sounding outragous,
BUT at the same time id like a real nice on boost sound. but hate a tractor sounding sound

problem is they can sound very diffrent
Custom 3" Turbo-back Exhaust - 2003 GTI 1.8T - Idle and Runs - YouTube

VW Gli 42 Draft Designs 3" Turbo BACK Exhaust 1.8t - YouTube

USP 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust on VW GLI 1.8T - YouTube

1.8t vw gti 3inch turbo back magnaflow exhaust - YouTube

i like the sound of the last one
all depends on what box size espesially length and what wadding they use, i know one company use stainless steel wire wool type deal. and gives a really nice deep tone, but then another company will have glass pack and they sound loud.

any one in the south east (near sevenoaks) that do good exhausts. i know theres a rsr centre but they use powerflow, and i dont rate power flow.

My mate had a 3 inch turboback on his golf which sounded nice and used to pop and bang for no reason lol

I've hear others and they sound poo

I think this one sounds sweet.

would like mine to sound like that if i went 3 inch

Tuffty, what's your views? I'm really tempted to get 3 inch all the way back to the muffler,back box.

tbh it not really worth the added expense over a 2.5" or Milltek 2.75" unless you are on a big turbo or can make it yourself...

Most custom exhaust places only do up to 2.5" or maybe 2.75" as they can bend it... mine was made from 3" dairy quality bends and tubing (as thats what Bill uses for all his DP and exhaust fabrications) and was TIG welded together which is not cheap... If you can find a place that will do it for a decent price then great but they are not a couple of hundred quid better...

I ran my OEM system when I first did my BT conversion and got insanely high ETG's... the back box and the bit under the rear diff being the main culprits flow wise... a 3" system is also a bit tinny until warm and when I have someone in the back (not often thank god) the exhaust does occasionally catch stuff..

Here is a crappy Blackberry video of my initial exhaust...

<tuffty/>

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol this thread is pretty funny, bootheman Remus is to quiet, milltek sounds good have you considered custom you can even get a varex on it

I have a good exhaust guy in Clayton, mine sounds better than any of the shelf exhaust