Top mount replacement help.

Danman1

Thorough noob
Reaction score
I am about to replace my front top mounts on my 2002 S3. I've searched and read some threads (including Tufftys) on this but was wondering if someone could spell out how the front suspension strut is removed/direct me to a guide.

What tools are needed and what parts. I already have the rubber mounts with new bearings do I need anything else?

Dan

Just to add a questions, can this be done with the damper in situ? Ive got collies and want to inspect my top mounts but cant be ***** remocing the entire set up?

I'm planning to do mine this weekend. Would also like to know if you could use spring compressors and avoid disconnecting the lower suspension. Will tracking need redoing?

I just have a rubber top mount and bearing for each side. Pair of spring compressors are the only specific tool i have.

A guide here Noah's MkIV VW H&R Coilover Installation HOWTO

Need to remove the strut Dani...

You ideally need a special tool to spread the hub to get the strut out and spring compressors if not coil overs...

This guide will help but you do NOT need to drop/undo the subframe to do it like is suggested...

MKIV Jetta Suspension Installation

<tuffty/>

Aww thats poo. Fmic in the sun it is :) haha.

Ill look into if i get chance, thanks for the heads up dave.