1.8T AUM split hose problem?

pangsterA3

Reaction score
Website
www.paullynch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I was topping up the washer fluid on my car today and noticed I could hear a slight hissing at idle. I had a quick look over the engine and noticed that this hose running from the intake manifold had a split in it. As a temporary measure I've wrapped it with insulating tape which seems to have sealed it and got rid of the hissing - but wondered if anyone know what this hose was or what it did??

thanks for any help/advice!

photo1-4.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

That would be the vacuum pipe for the brake servo, I'd get it changed asap else you will end up in trouble if you need to slam the brakes on.

It's a main dealer only part and it should have a part no on it somewhere.

Reactions: pangsterA3
That would be the vacuum pipe for the brake servo, I'd get it changed asap else you will end up in trouble if you need to slam the brakes on.

It's a main dealer only part and it should have a part no on it somewhere.

excellent!! - thanks for the quick reply Bengal!! - I'll get one ordered pronto.. if I get a chance I'll really need to give all the hoses a proper once over as I would imagine that there might be more on the verge of splitting! :)

thanks again for the help! :)

No problem, as for the rest of the pipes, if they look like they've been on for a while then I would change them all just to be sure as 99% of my running problems have been down to the maze of vacuum pipes in the engine bay.

Silicone hoses are the way forward if you don't mind paying a bit more than the rubber ones.

Get that changed as soon as possible! Mines split all the way along and ive got no brakes at all! The entire pipe was quoted at 60 from tps