Acceleration hesitation between gear changes

Reaction score
On a standard AUM 1.8T

When changing gear under hard acceleration there's always this drop off of revs like the boost cuts out for a about 2 seconds. VAGCOM shows no faults, always well serviced, cleaned TB, coil packs checked.

Fuel economy isn't so good, average 30mpg under steady driving.

Any ideas?

Don't know about your problem mate , but wish I was averaging 30mpg, last car I had that did that was a diesel BMW !

Think I get about 22mpg driving mine steady......

why do you say 30mpg is not good - were you getting better before this problem ? or do you know other who get better.
......I think your probably getting better mpg because of your problem ! Once you have fixed it and are truly accelerating more than you will find it will get worse

Don't know about your problem mate , but wish I was averaging 30mpg, last car I had that did that was a diesel BMW !

Think I get about 22mpg driving mine steady......

Dude..22mpg?? Something aint right there, are your wheels made of lead or something? I used to drive an A3 with a AGU engine and used to regularly get 34 out of it.

Anyway, lets forget about the mileage if that sounds about right, anyone got an idea about the loss of power after gear change?

Cheers

I think I've cured it. Looking at the turbo hoses I found that an o-ring had blown out at the connection between the charge pipe and the rubber hose after it. Apparently a common occurrence with this design. They used to use the more reliable jubilee clip, I think on pre 2000 models.

Anyway, I wanted to sort it then and there so just sealed it right up with gasket paste. I later bought the correct seal from the dealers for £2.95, part number N 901 368 02, but found the gasket paste had done such a good job I left it on.

So now the car seems to accelerate more consistently after gear change, I imagine that because the turbo stops as you take your foot off, the pressure would just disappear through that leak, so after reapplying the pedal - the turbo would take longer to build up pressure and make any affect.

On a standard AUM 1.8T

When changing gear under hard acceleration there's always this drop off of revs like the boost cuts out for a about 2 seconds. VAGCOM shows no faults, always well serviced, cleaned TB, coil packs checked.

Fuel economy isn't so good, average 30mpg under steady driving.

Any ideas?

if that doesnt work mate try ur plugs my last s3 done it as it was blowing the spark out on boost and under load if u upgrade the plugs then that could help

make sure your esp is turned off mate i have AUM and if i drive with esp on it cuts power when accelerating hard thats if you havent already done this.

hence i always push the button once i start the engine lol