S3 Wierd Start Up noise...

Sevv

Pushing the limits..
Reaction score
Hello guys... ive been have this weird start up noise as soon as i turn the car on, and another thing ive been getting lately is almost lke the car is about to turn off when i turn it one first time after say a day or so off.. any advise would be appreciated from reading some posts it could be the fuel pump and also the noise on start up could be the starter motor however not sure here is the video anyway

20120516_105015.mp4 video by sev19489 - Photobucket

ah okay, i just change the DMF to be honest Dave... what about when im about to start it and it almost wants to cut out what do you reckon it may be mate.. i appreciate your response too by the way

Bump... anyone has any advice concerning why the car sounds/feels like it will cut out please :shrug:

ah okay, i just change the DMF to be honest Dave... what about when im about to start it and it almost wants to cut out what do you reckon it may be mate.. i appreciate your response too by the way
Check the usual pipes under the inlet manifold, try starting with the MAF disconnected and see if it is any better..

alrighty ill give it a go.. i just hope its not a fuel pump or so... as ive read in other threads

Dave forgot to mention that i changed all three pipes under the inlet mani so they are brand new couldnt possibly let loose

dude i had a wierd noise on start up, i cant listen to your vid so excuse me if its a different noise. Mine was a slight rattle on start up then it went. after a bit of investigation it ended up being the cam chain tensioner. Not a cheap job! Hopeits not that.

Just managed to listen to the vid, would def check cam chain tensioner. If it fails not good news at all.

If its trying to cut out only when its cold then I'd check the coolant temp sender, I've had this myself.
Better plugging it in to check first though.

Hi JBL and S3_OL well guys many thanks...the noise does go away its just when i start it, i know my gearbox spline is on its way out and have ordered a new box... as i think the garage that did the work on the vanos and replaced my clutch told me the spline where the clutch/plate sit is slightly loose.. however you were saying it can be the cam chain tensioner which i think was changed if im not mistaken as i had to put it a new vanos and its asembly....may that be the cause too ?

i also have changed the coolant temp sensor however where is the coolant temp sender located..as maybe i can do it myself..the rocker cover will be going off soon so ill have a look at it see if there is anything wrong i really hope its not that.

you guys got me wondering big time now

Iv developed a noise :( it will only happen from cold.
After i start it, from the engine bay, a loud whining/hissing noise. it sounds like a jet engine.
It goes after 5 or more starts but i havnt had the balls to leave it running first start. I just made some changes- new recerculating forge dump valve sounds like the suspect. But i also had it in my local vw specials to change the rear diff n heldex... Oh yeah and i put a new air mas sen on. Im going to record it if it happens again

Iv developed a noise :( it will only happen from cold.
After i start it, from the engine bay, a loud whining/hissing noise. it sounds like a jet engine.
It goes after 5 or more starts but i havnt had the balls to leave it running first start. I just made some changes- new recerculating forge dump valve sounds like the suspect. But i also had it in my local vw specials to change the rear diff n heldex... Oh yeah and i put a new air mas sen on. Im going to record it if it happens again

Dave is right, sounds like sai. nothing to worry about, just very noisy.

Oh ok. thanks! My 1.8T never done it. I thawt it was gonna blow up, or take off :) so whats the secondary air pump do? And can i remove it ;)

well all in all besides buying a new engine to be collected on wendnesday (amk code) .. and also bought a new gearbox of awesome gti 450 pounds not too bad :p considering 4,500$ in Oz lol... all i need is a good clutch and new MC and should see that noise GONE!