Actually how bad is the standard bosche DV?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
I have a stage1 S3 still running the standard DV. It appears to function well and I love the chatter I get through the massive BMC carbon air box, although, having covered 135k I'd imagine it's seen better days so thinking about replacing it.

From what I understand all after market options are of a piston design making more of a woosh sound and aren't massively pocket friendly, I'm thinking about replacing it for a new standard one or maybe even just leaving it as it is... After all, if it aint broke don't fix it ey!?

I'm getting some logs done soon which should help decipher whether it is still functioning well but I just though I'd throw it out there and get you guys opinion on this.

Thanks

If you are getting chatter then its broken and its needs replacing... the whole point of a dump valve is to stop compressor stall (chatter) and prolong the life of the turbo...

<tuffty/>

If you are getting chatter then its broken and its needs replacing...
<tuffty/>

Ah, i see :think: . . . What are they supposed to sound like when letting off at low boost then? Are they supposed to woosh as well? I always thought that's what the standard one sounded like through induction as my old A3 sounded the same, I had that one uprated soon after buying it tho.

If its making a 'choo choo choo' type of noise then its broken... the std DV's are 'ok' but the diaphragm splits especially on mapped cars... thats why most peeps swap to a 007p or similar... the other issue is the std one doesn't always hold the mapped boost pressure as well as an aftermarket valve... and they will expire sooner... but they are like 15 quid a pop... some peeps are happy just replace them but having compressor stall

<tuffty/>

If it sounds like the subaru in this video at 1:32 then your DV is faulty.

It should sound like a woooosh, can't find a video for an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a piston dv cheap enough on eBay, about £33 delivered complete with different strength springs.

i was thinking the same, but 007p or 008? whats the difference for like £20 got a standard 1,8 quattro?

i was thinking the same, but 007p or 008? whats the difference for like £20 got a standard 1,8 quattro?

Choice is up to you, little difference between them in real world terms but obviously the 008 is an evolution of the 007p...

<tuffty/>

Choice is up to you, little difference between them in real world terms but obviously the 008 is an evolution of the 007p...

<tuffty/>

ok, and will it fit straight onto the old pipes that are connected to the bosche one?

sorry for spamming your thread dude.

Bailey dv30 are just as good if not better than forge, they are the orignators of after Market dv's, same sort of price bracket, all down to choice really, you might be lucky to get a used one a bit cheaper, there are a few on gumtree at the mo.

Bailey dv30 are just as good if not better than forge, they are the orignators of after Market dv's, same sort of price bracket, all down to choice really, you might be lucky to get a used one a bit cheaper, there are a few on gumtree at the mo.

I've got a bailey n bought one for my mate too. You can get used ones relatively cheap. I managed to pick one up for £30 but thats because the seller said there was a crack on the outlet so put people off but it just turned out to be a scratch, obviously where someone levered the pipe off with a screwdriver.

I loved the chatter when I first fitted an induction kit to my otherwise standard A3, thought it was awesome.

Then bought a forge valve, and was really upset that I lost that awesome chatter sound.

Then soon realised that it drove better, and used a load less fuel. Happy days!

Easy to test a dv with a biro and your thumb to see if it's dead :)

Yea, does sound a bit like that. Does this mean I also have a bit of a boost leak then?

Your right prawn, it does sound cool! I will also miss it when it's gone, but in the name of a better running car, it has to go. . . :bye:

No leak, just the DV isn't opening so the air is going back through the turbo creating stall which isn't good for it. Get an uprated one pronto.

If it sounds like the subaru in this video at 1:32 then your DV is faulty.

It should sound like a woooosh, can't find a video for an example.

Not many S3's in that vid :)

Last edited by a moderator: