S3 and Milltek questions

Just for the record s8n, these comments were not all aimed specifically at you...some were, some were general comments aimed at the group as a whole.

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:

1) Don't buy it, no one is forcing you too. Just because you have never came across those figures, doesn't mean its not possible. www.ozaudi.com, go to the TT section and see what they have to say about changing their exhaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true...
But there are a lot of websites written by people who claim huge gains that simply do not come up with the goods of independant rolling roads, or in dyno day shootouts. Strange huh?

Telling the world something is great...but backing it up with results, any day, any place, any time is a whole new kettle of fish.

I'm not saying that some of these guys can't do that...it just surprises me that two cars of the same production line, using similar fuels tested in different parts of the world can allegedly produce such hige differences.

[ QUOTE ]

2) You must be ****** after outlaying large sums of $ for f*&k all difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all...as I said, the combination produces decent gains with a very well sorted S3...so I'm happy that they are worth the money now...they certainly weren't...but now the tuning is heading along nicely, they come into their own.

[/ QUOTE ]
3) Its melt, not ment. Like TBA?
[ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif 1:1

[ QUOTE ]

4) I never did..

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said...not all aimed at you specifically...I'm aware that you did not say to change them...but others may have heard differently.

[ QUOTE ]

5) Dyno is better than no dyno. provided same operator, same settings, same temps. No point in comparing if not done properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed so...

[ QUOTE ]

6) blah

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

7) According to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In two years it's never made a difference on mine.
Of course, as I stated, these are my views with which some of you will agree, and some will dissargee. I can handle that.

[ QUOTE ]

8) See 3)

[/ QUOTE ]

2:1 to you sir!
I wish I had the patience to proof read things...

[ QUOTE ]

9) It reduces exhaust gas velocity, it combined with the muffler and straight through piping produces good gains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'd argue that the remaining area is still sufficient to allow a standard S3 to breath with no adverse effects.

[ QUOTE ]

10) Makes me wonder why you guys buy exhausts if you don't get power gains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some people will buy beasd upon clever marketing and pie in the sky power claims. People like to think that they can gain 15 BHP for a few hundred quid...it's just not going to happen by changing the exhaust from the cat back - for the majority of us anyway.

People will always start with the easy jobs...like the exhaust.

Company dyno charts are fine...as long at they tally up with what the private individuals are getting on cold-call rolling road runs...which unfortunately is not always the case.

Unfortunately by the time Mr X finds this out, he's hundreds out of pocket.

Of course there are others that chance the exhaust as a step in the tuning process, ready for the next level...and there's nowt wrong with that...just as long as they don't expect the moon on a stick!

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
Your reply is taking a while... Its in the preview stage now..! Finally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us have a life too, you know...and I was doing a couple of important things (getting a haircut and enjoying a nice cold pint!)

There is more to life than getting into an argument with someone over differing views...each to their own...they may not be the same views, but diversity is a great thing.

After a pint, I would have thought you'd be chilled :p

relax, im playing. Its 5am and ive been up for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time, sleep time shortly.

Im just being arrogant and stupid because im lacking in sleep!

What people need to remember when reading Glen's posts is that he is naturally blunt and rude, but that's because he's Scottish. Its not his fault. Talking of being blunt and rude, an Aussie should get on just fine with Glen!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Nah, Glen's a nice bloke really, just gets straight to the point in his posts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

AL

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
After a pint, I would have thought you'd be chilled :p

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem...one pint of the amber nectar is never enough!
I am chilled though...I'm just prickly by nature!!

[ QUOTE ]

relax, im playing. Its 5am and ive been up for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time, sleep time shortly.

Im just being arrogant and stupid because im lacking in sleep!

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy...

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
What people need to remember when reading Glen's posts is that he is naturally blunt and rude, but that's because he's Scottish. Its not his fault. Talking of being blunt and rude, an Aussie should get on just fine with Glen!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Nah, Glen's a nice bloke really, just gets straight to the point in his posts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

AL...allow me to come straight to the point:

I don't mind being called blunt.
I don't mind being called rude.
I don't really mind being called anything insulting...but:

DON'T EVER CALL ME SCOTTISH!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Back on topic though, I don't think I'll waste my money on a new exhaust. Well, not until I've had another listen of Glens at the next meet. (If he forgives me for using the S word that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

AL

An exhaust is definitely on my list of modifications for next year - this has been a really interesting post!

Because my car next year will be very heavily modified there seems to be a definite reason for changing the exhaust and cat's, plus I have to admit I want a better sound out of the S3, plus I want something that looks a bit different.

Guys - I am a novice with this stuff - is there any difference between exhausts that split the tail pipes (left & right of the car), put them together (like the standard S3), or just have a really big tail pipe !? Or is it just looks?

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Back on topic though, I don't think I'll waste my money on a new exhaust. Well, not until I've had another listen of Glens at the next meet. (If he forgives me for using the S word that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

I, personally, would not say that it's value for money to change the exhaust or cats if you are planning to keep the rest of the car standard (ie, no chip)...again, in my view, the gains just don't measure up in the money spent v power gain stakes.

As previously said...if you are looking to tune in stages, then it's something you should consider for when you are getting to the upper limits of tuning with the standard turbo...and a necessity if you are looking to go 'big turbo'.

As for noise:
Even with the cats, you don't get that much of a noise increase...nothing like as 'silly' as an Impreza with an exhaust.
The boom or drone inside the car is also nothing that concerns me...louder than standard, sure. But obtrusive...nah!

On the next meet, you should really have a decent drive of my car...take it over a few challenging miles...that way you will also get a feel for all the other tweeks too.
(of course, bending it carries the punishment of a slow, lingering and very painful death)

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:

Because my car next year will be very heavily modified there seems to be a definite reason for changing the exhaust and cat's, plus I have to admit I want a better sound out of the S3, plus I want something that looks a bit different.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will get a different sound...deeper, and slightly louder. It has a pleasant sound when ripping through the gears and a nice burble at idle...but it's no means obtrusive - even with the cats.

Fitting the centre section without the resonator box will make it a fair bit louder...but at the expense of getting a little close to the sound of an RS Turbo (yuk!)

[ QUOTE ]

Guys - I am a novice with this stuff - is there any difference between exhausts that split the tail pipes (left & right of the car), put them together (like the standard S3), or just have a really big tail pipe !? Or is it just looks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jo,
As Rich says, the main difference is looks only, however:
The Milltek system for the S3 looks standard at a glance...unless you look under the car at the rear box - the tailpipes look the same.

Fitting a TT rear box with the associated bumper mods will allow the choice of a few more tailpipe designs (differing diameters of tailpipe).

I had a mate with a single tailpipe on his S3, somewhere in the region of 5"...and this make the car look awful in a 2Fast 2 Furious stylee! Best avoided, in my view.

But at the end of the day, you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps due to some glitch in the Matrix, physics works differently south of the equator?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Yeah don't fancy a single tailpipe - definitely two.

I quite like a car that "looks" modified (as well as being properly modified!) (I'll grow out of it eventually!!!!) and would like tail pipe(s) at L & R side of the car...

Interesting stuff. Now onto my next project - big turbo upgrade with supercharger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

(You can tell I'm a newbie to this!)

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Yeah don't fancy a single tailpipe - definitely two.

I quite like a car that "looks" modified (as well as being properly modified!) (I'll grow out of it eventually!!!!) and would like tail pipe(s) at L & R side of the car...

Interesting stuff. Now onto my next project - big turbo upgrade with supercharger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

(You can tell I'm a newbie to this!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Turbo upgrade with supercharger????????
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out for John recommending intercooler fans!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Seriously though, surely there's not enough room for a supercharger as well. I know what you're idea is though.

How about putting the S4 bi-turbo engine into the S3?

AL

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jo,
What's the weather like in your world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jo,
What's the weather like in your world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aahhh...leave her alone. Jo, console yourself in the fact that we know feck all about Cisco hardware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Like I say, just a day dream!

The weather is great here - there's free beer all day, you get paid for doing nothing, the sun is always shining, there's no income tax and Optimax is 2p/litre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif:D:D:D:D

And for my next hit, a diesel engine in a TT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But the S4 bi-turbo engine inthe S3 is a thought... had already thought about that one and still paying it some time!

PM me and ill let u know how Milteks/MTM's are being fitted to WRX's and 200SX's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif