Vag.com for a3

a31.6sport

Reaction score
Hi could someone help I have an Audi a3 1.6 2002 will the vag.com lead like on eBay or is mine can bus I want one but don't know which one to buy thanks in advance any links would be great

The EBay ones are notorious for playing up and they will only give you the VCDS lite version, It is worth it in the long run to buy the full genuine lead Nigel user name (NHN) sells them on here have a look in the VCDS section and give him a PM

Chris.

I got a standard lead from Gendan here in the uk, and I purchased the Vag-Com software licence direct from Ross-Tech which I later switched to VCDS. On the A3 8L, you don't need anything else really.

I did use an eBay lead with the gen software for a while, and whilst good for adaptations and fault code reading/clearing, lost comms with the engine whilst it was running so useless for logs etc.

I think the whole lot was £25 for the lead and $100 for the software.

Yours will be K-Line not canbus... as said, eBay ones can be hit and miss... VCDS is an investment worth doing if you plan to do your own DIY... kit NHN sells should be the HEX-CAN leads so will do modern VAGs too... they can be used in generic OBDII mode as well for other makes of car..

<tuffty/>

Is that right, so they will access any obd info from all makes?
What software would be needed?

It's on my shopping list, but trying to get a cheap laptop to use it on. Don't fancy buying a new one just for vcds, and don't need one otherwise.

I was given a eBay one free months ago what a load of crap never used it ever again !!

Is that right, so they will access any obd info from all makes?
What software would be needed?

It's on my shopping list, but trying to get a cheap laptop to use it on. Don't fancy buying a new one just for vcds, and don't need one otherwise.

VCDS...

Basic OBDII functionality... Ross-Tech: VCDS: Tour: Generic OBD-II Screen

<tuffty/>

KEep away from the eBay ones they rubbish. My mates a mechanic got me one for note and always connects properly when running,the eBay one was hit and miss.