Can i retrofit heated seats to my 1999 pre-facelift s3? If so..how?

Jimgrim77

Reaction score
I've been reading old and recent posts but am none the wiser really.

If it's been covered...sorry, but I'd really like to know if it can, how it can be done and what it entails?

I have heard the following but wondered about the authenticity of the claims:-

1) the heating elements being pre-installed to all recaros at manufacturing stage and that all it requires is wiring up....or is this nonsense?

2) on the pre-facelift - the on off buttons were on the top right side of the centre console....was this true and anyone got any pics?

Thanks for your help all..i'm trying to finish this ****** thing off.

Yes, pre-facelift buttons were the two outer most "blanks" in the panel that houses the hazard light switch.

Furthest left was for passenger and furthest right was for driver. They were the roller switch variety.

As s3mad said.

Also ive got a preface s3 with heated leather and yes its nice but honestly i maybe use it half a dozen times a year.

As s3mad said.

Also ive got a preface s3 with heated leather and yes its nice but honestly i maybe use it half a dozen times a year.

Lol...I know what you mean. My wife keeps bleeding on about it though. She has them in her mini cooper s and says that if I'm to keep the car and we have children, she wants more comfort!

Yes, pre-facelift buttons were the two outer most "blanks" in the panel that houses the hazard light switch.

Furthest left was for passenger and furthest right was for driver. They were the roller switch variety.

Ah right. Thanks.

I've noticed them. Are the elements in situ then and simply a case of two switches and necessary wiring then? Or am I missing something?

Ive heard 2 storys on this mate.

1: like you said the hearing elements are already in the seats and they just need the switches forthe dash fitting and wiring in.

2: you need to buy the entire heating element, remove the upholestry, fit said element, run the neccessary wiring loom into place then wire up.

If im honest id say the second one is far more plausable, why would audi goto the etxra cost of fitting the heating elements.

Fingers crossed mate it maybe the first but i very much doubt it :(.

fair enough. the wife will have to get used to a cold bottom. i can't ar*sed to do this mod.

would like to use the vacant button spaces though...any thoughts?

Bluetooth? Eject seat button on the wifes side!!! :) haha.

Reactions: Pmol66 and Iceash
you need the two heated seat switches - NEW GENUINE AUDI A3 8L RIGHT HEATED SEAT SWITCH - 8L0 963 564 C B98 | eBay

Then you will need the wiring loom - KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Seat Heating - Harness - Audi A3 8L 30000

I can definitely recommend using kufatec for the wiring loom, there is a guide - How To: Install Kufatec Heated Seat Loom - uk-mkivs which refers to the mk4 golf but uses the same connections, easier to understand than actual instructions as contins pictures

Edit: Golf Mkiv Mk4 Refurbished Heated Seat Switches | eBay Think im right in thinking these are A3/S3 switches not mk4 golf ones as they are same shape as the new item i first mentioned, and come as a pair

Last edited:
you need the two heated seat switches - NEW GENUINE AUDI A3 8L RIGHT HEATED SEAT SWITCH - 8L0 963 564 C B98 | eBay

Then you will need the wiring loom - KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Seat Heating - Harness - Audi A3 8L 30000

I can definitely recommend using kufatec for the wiring loom, there is a guide - How To: Install Kufatec Heated Seat Loom - uk-mkivs which refers to the mk4 golf but uses the same connections, easier to understand than actual instructions as contins pictures

Edit: Golf Mkiv Mk4 Refurbished Heated Seat Switches | eBay Think im right in thinking these are A3/S3 switches not mk4 golf ones as they are same shape as the new item i first mentioned, and come as a pair

great post niall! just need to establish whether i have the heating elements now then. reading up, i'm looking for a green connector i think. Mine's a pre-facelift 1999 with full leather electric recaros.

great post niall! just need to establish whether i have the heating elements now then. reading up, i'm looking for a green connector i think. Mine's a pre-facelift 1999 with full leather electric recaros.

Just remove the two bolts holding the seats in at the front of the seat and slide all the way back until it tilts, Then it is indeed a green connector you are looking for, Will be positioned somewhere between the yellow airbag connector and the red power connector

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/2VHuU.jpg green plug

Last edited:
Not all recaro's have the heater elements in the seats. I know this as my s3 came with ivory leather and now has nappa black!! Was a ball ache and I wouldn't recommend!! In a nut shell I was sick of cleaning the seats (im either at work getting covered in ****e or at my brothers garage helping out so not uncommon for me to be looking like a tramp!) so told my brother I wanted black leather! He changed them all for me then we worked out they was NOT heated. You have to strip the seat base and fit the element then plug them into the connector under the seat (if you don't have the switches then you would have to buy some and plumb the loom in). Major school boy error on my behalf for not checking while the seats was out! Would I do it all again.....not a chance I would jus suffer with cold leather for 5 mins until it warms up!! Hope that helps.

Heres what mine looks like...
a310797c.jpg

No interfering ESP neither stickin it's nose in were it's not wanted...lol

Hi ya peep's , just a quick one really i have the cloth seats would they have the element still or is it just the leathers ?

Cheers in advance.

saw some heated cloth ones on ebay a while back

Cool ! may have to have a little look this is my kinda thing should be quite straight forward fingers crossed . ive a AUM facelift so thing the switches are different. my blanks are square rather than rounded at the edges. good luck jim with your investigations hopefully its all there for a straight forward retro fit. Happy Man = Happy Wife :yes:

Just taking a look at this and I’ve seen that I do have an empty plug slot.Would this mean that I have the heating elements already installed and that all I need is the loom and switches?
Cheers

Attachments

• 1EE541D6-8C3B-471D-A522-BB1B7A7E9055.jpeg
    1EE541D6-8C3B-471D-A522-BB1B7A7E9055.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 260