the noise of doom. what to do what to do

golfon20s

Reaction score
well my car started making a loud whining noise under boost yesterday and had it looked at today. looks like the turbo is on its way out. the bearing has a bit of play in it and the blades are catching the body under boost and causing the whine. its an AMK with 72k and currently mapped by jabbasport to 277 with graphs.

what to do now...
do i......

fix it with a standard turbo and sell it.

trade it in while its not smoking etc

fix it with a big turbo and silly power with stronger bottom end etc.

i had a decent chunk of money saved for a mk5 golf gti so either of the above options is definitely feasable its just which route to go down.

i have to admit i dont know masses about turbos and whats best etc but im definitely open to options.

please help me people

bigger turbo , stronger bottom end :p try to fix and sell your damaged turbo......

Trade it in against a mk5 GTI.

Other option is to by a reconditioned K04 turbo to fix the issue. You could sell you turbo, as long as it's crack free, to recoup some of the cash. I've seen recond turbos for £250 before.

Other option is to by a reconditioned K04 turbo to fix the issue. You could sell you turbo, as long as it's crack free, to recoup some of the cash. I've seen recond turbos for £250 before.

And then get the jabba map removed and replaced with a decent map.

And then get the jabba map removed and replaced with a decent map.

yeah ive never been entirely happy with the Jabba map. its got a really short boost range and runs out of puff a bit.

reallistically then.
how much would i be looking at for stronger bottom end and a bigger turbo.

just trying to weigh up my options

thanks for the help guys

How long ago was the map done before the turbo had issues maybe u can speak to jabba and see if they sort something out for seeing u have used them already, if u trade it in feel sorry for the guy or gal who may buy it and how they would feel if they knew they had this problem I know my conscious wouldn't let me but heh that's just me and business is business, if u did buy the mk5 gti u would eventually buy mods on it so maybe get a nice bigger turbo look around for a bargin then get all the bits sorted and fall in love with your car again and blow most cars off the road, well whatever u decide good luck mate hope things get sorted

Not that it helps now, but the map was probably the cause of your problems. I only say this as I used to have a map from them.

Its worth reading the stickies on here for BT info, I wouldn't expect much change from ~£4k for a BT and new rods etc.

How sure are you that the turbo is at fault or the blades are catching? Sounds like a leaky exhaust manifold gasket or even a cracked manifold. Both cheaper to fix than a new turbo.

i thought it was leaking boost somewhere as it all started as soon as i changed the dump valve for a forge one. thought maybe i had split a hose but got it checked on monday and they tell me thats what it is so can only go by that really.

Ok mate, how well do you trust the garage? Not saying there conning you but its alot of money if there wrong.

hes a good lad and i deal with them a lot through work so dontthink hes having my pants down

Martin