Quick question about my S3

Danman1

Thorough noob
Reaction score
I have a 2002 S3 and after i've turned the engine off i've noticed the small pump at the front of the engine doesnt make the usual noise it does like it used to. Should this always run for a short time after i've turned the engine off or is it dependent on something else? Also I read in the stickies it's a common fault to go, how much am I looking at for a new one?

Cheers

Dan

This should always run after the car has been on as it pumps coolant round the turbo to cool it down. The most common thing to happen is the fuse blows. AFAIK it's the green fuse on the left of the 3 that are situated on top of the battery. It's a 30amp.

Mine runs as I turn the ignition over and for about 20 mins post drive to cool turbo.

Fuse problem likely of connection.

Easy fix and sort for turbo longevity.

Alright i've had a look and this is what i've got:

2012-05-12193002.jpg

2012-05-12193022.jpg

the fuses 'look' ok, without getting a multimetre on them I can't be 100% sure. So the far left one is the pump one?

Dan

Alright cheers Westy, what would be my next step if the fuses are OK?

Dan

Ok, so I volt metered the pump and fuses and no power was going to the pump so the fuses must be the issue, changed the fuses and bam, its back on. Quick pic of the fuse, looked fine....

2012-05-13114002.jpg

2012-05-13114020.jpg

Cheers everyone for your help.

Dan

Nice, quick and easy fix there dude :)

lol, 9 times out of 10 it isnt an easy fix....... that was your 1 easy fix......... sooooo theres 9 ball ache things to fix in your not too distant future.

might be an idea to measure the resistance on the coolant pump. might be pulling too much current, hence the marks on the blades of the fuse? ive seen those fuse holders all melted round the fuses from components they supply being faulty.