Mixing Engine Oils

• Thread starter imported_Strider81
  • Start date
I

imported_Strider81

Half way up the M1 my oil light went on (my fault should have checked b4 i left) so i stopped at the nearest and most dearest service station only to find they had one type of oil.

rather than risk it i poured a little of this Castrol GTX Magnatec in to keep the ess happy- however I know this is not the optimum oil and so will it be harmfull in anyway to top it up fully with the recomended 503.01 spec?

thanks

I am no expert in oil and i am sure someone is but i very much doubt you will have caused any problem by putting some GTX in. More problems would have arisen had you not put anything in!

Up to 1/2 a litre of a substitute oil is ok in emergencies I think.

Yep, gek is spot on. I had the same thing happen on the M6 and I phoned Audi Roadside Assistance who said up to half a litre of any synthetic oil was OK in emergencies.

Not sure what the code is for the proper stuff, but I know Mobil 1 is it!

I have done this the other way around. I have SLX in the engine and have topped up with Mobil1 as you say they are both 503 01.

I think that it's OK?

I hope its ok i too had mobil1 and Halfords never had any ...so had to go with the SLX longlife II seems to be ok though.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope its ok i too had mobil1 and Halfords never had any ...so had to go with the SLX longlife II seems to be ok though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think you should be using SLX longlife II in the S3...

Any oil is better than no oil, if the light comes on then you are not that far away from engine faliure, best to keep the levels topped up.

as soupie says don't mix semi with full synthetic, you will get away with it

VW 503.01 is the code.

SLX carries this not SLX II.

Others are Mobil1 0w-40, Castrol RS 0w-40, Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 0w-30 and Motul 8100 0w-40.

Cheers
Simon