Oil filter sandwich for S3

Scullies

Reaction score
I want to fit oil temp and pressure gauges in my S3.
What the best way of going about this?

Is a sandwich a good option and do I need to get one for the S3 as it has the oil cooler fitted, or are they pretty much universal?

Ok... firstly the oil cooler fitted to the 20v engine is just a water cooled jacket setup... its not a 'sandwich' as such... if by sandwich you mean a thermostatic sandwich plate to allow you to fit a 13 row oil cooler matrix then you are still out of luck as nither are designed to do what you are asking...

Oil temp and pressure senders can be fitted into the oil filter housing though... using a combo of 'T' pieces etc they will go in there... not sure what the thread sizes are off the top of my head but you will have to get the right ones or adapt with 'T' pieces... oil temp sender 'should' fit into the bung at the top of the oil filter housing and the pressure sender should fit in a 'T' from where the current pressure switch is..

There are sump plugs available for temp probes but in all honesty they are pretty rubbish and tend to destruct themselves or the sump threads when oil change time arrives..

<tuffty/>

Tufty i think he means a oil filter sandwich, they fit between the oil filter and the oil filter housing and have several ports that allow for off shhots to come off them. Im on my iphone or id post a link to ones on ebay.

One of these you mean?
OIL FILTER SANDWICH PLATE AUDI A3 A4 A5 A6 A8 80 100 CITROEN SAXO C2 VTR VTS | eBay

hummm.... not heard of them before so no experience of them... looks plausible I guess... can't see how pressure would work and would be a little concerned with anything like this not designed for the 20v that sits in the oil path... could restrict flow but like I said never seen one of these so no idea...

Only other issue would be that the filter is tight enough in there with the SMIC joiner pipe so this would space it down a bit more and could make it even more difficult to get the filter on/off....

<tuffty/>

Thats the one.

No chance of fitting one of them on a prefacelift s3, theres barely any room with the sai pump let alone the smic pipe.

Yip, thats the kind of sandwich I am on about. Thanks guys. I have a facelift model, so no SAI for me :happy:
I have never seen one of these sandwich type things in person, So my next question is....
Would this sandwich replace the S3 oil cooler or does it get added to the oil filter and cooler housing?
I was thinking about running the oil temp gauge off the sandwich and the pressure gauge off the top of the oil filter housing....then later going to an oil cooler in the SMIC location after a FMIC setup though.
Since I live in Dubai, its gets pretty warm here and want to keep things cool as possible. Logged IAT the other night, hit 72deg C and that was at 10pm and summer has only started here !!!!

Yip, thats the kind of sandwich I am on about. Thanks guys. I have a facelift model, so no SAI for me :happy:
I have never seen one of these sandwich type things in person, So my next question is....
Would this sandwich replace the S3 oil cooler or does it get added to the oil filter and cooler housing?
I was thinking about running the oil temp gauge off the sandwich and the pressure gauge off the top of the oil filter housing....then later going to an oil cooler in the SMIC location after a FMIC setup though.
Since I live in Dubai, its gets pretty warm here and want to keep things cool as possible. Logged IAT the other night, hit 72deg C and that was at 10pm and summer has only started here !!!!

Leave the cooler on... and get a FMIC and WMI with those temps LOL...

<tuffty/>