F*****G driveshaft

AVLO

Reaction score
i could do with some advice people as i have a 2001 a3 1.8t sport and have snuffed a n/s driveshaft. the problem is the only driveshafts i can find have a thick inner end and mine has a thin inner end. i have allready bought a thick inner end shaft and the bolt holes dont line up to the gearbox. the annoying part is this shaft came off of a 1.8t sport the only difference i believe was it was off a year 2000. arrrrgggghhhhhh

where could i source a thin inner end shaft from, apart from main dealer??

any help would be appreciated
thanks

You can replace the joints separately on the shaft... I assume its the joints you are referring too or have you stripped the spline on the shaft? the shafts rarely have issues but the joints can be bought from GSF etc... 2000/2001 is a changeover year and there are a couple of different gear boxes IIRC...

<tuffty/>

interesting you say you can only find the thick ones, because the thinner ones are far more common!

The one you need is a 108mm flange, fitted to pretty much everything from July 98 onwards, it's only the pre July 98 AGU's that had the 100mm thick flange that's identical to a mk2 golf (that's how old school it is)

They did a mild facelift before the main facelift (2000/2001) in July 98, obvious changes were the door handles changed, but things like the driveshaft flange change and gear linkage all seem to have been changed at the same point from those I've worked on.

yes tuffty the 3 roller bearings on the inner joint have collapsed, so can you change just the end part of the shaft with the 3 bearings on?

thanks for the advice prawn but yes im struggling to find a 2nd hand thin flanged shaft, as i said i bought 1 off of an x reg 1.8t sport but it has the thick flange. i drilled out the holes to allow me to use 10mm bolts which the gearbox needs but it wasnt untill i tried to bolt it up i realised that the pcd is different.

interesting you say you can only find the thick ones, because the thinner ones are far more common!

I agree with Prawn, I've got the 100mm ones on mine and when I tried to source a replacement I got sent one of the thinner ones off ebay which was wrong, I went to a motorfactors and they ordered me a thinner one too.

I can confirm that the 100mm flanges are then wrong ones for your car and you need the 108mm as Prawn said.

And yes, you can buy the inner joint itself and they are significantly cheaper, a doddle to fit too.