Replacing rear spring - need to change in pairs?

AndrewB

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just been to have my wheels swapped front-back, even out the tyre wear and so on...

Back left spring is snapped at the bottom! Thought the ride was a bit rough...

It's under extended warrantee, so rang Audi in York. Yes, it's covered, and they'll change the spring. "THE" spring? Surely you should change both at once to keep the handling the same? Surely the metal changes its tensile characteristics after a few years?

York Audi's workshop said yes, it probably wouldn't handle or look right with just one spring. And they would strongly advise changing both springs. But they said the warrantee only covers one side, so tough!

Any advice on how I should persuade them to keep my custom? Bearing in mind I bought the car off them, just 9 months ago, I think they've a cheek just washing their hands of it.

Surely it's a bit dangerous just changing one spring? I'd certainly not want to drive it at autobahn speeds like that.

What do you think?

I would replace both springs at the asme time to keep it feeling right

Probbably wise to change the pair. In my experience springs are not costly, so a warranty job with you paying for the extra spring and labour costs covered by warranty may be a reasonable compromise to persue.

Quick update - York Audi agreed to fit the other spring as a goodwill gesture, but I have to pay for the part. Thanks to everyone for their help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They haven't even mentioned alignment... I'm going to see if they offer, or else ask if it's required... And then I might send another stern letter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif