S3 seat airbag: tricking ECU and airbag resistance

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Trying to get my S3 back on the road and have a MOT on Tuesday. At some point in the cars life i believe the airbag has gone off and the previous owner has just stuffed it back in and put a dab of glue on the flap with the airbag behind.

after a bit of research i found this: VWVortex.com - Airbag light...how did you trick your ECU?

so i purchased a 2.7 ohm resistor, just plugged it into the airbag connector, reset the ECU and it doesn't seem to have done the job :sob:

Does anyone know what the resistance of the airbag in the seat should be and or where i might be going wrong? I'm assuming that the brown wire is an earth, do i need to do anything with this?

Any help would be appreciated as i NEED to get her back on the road so I can start earning some money again!

thanks

Thats because its 4.8 ohm 5 watt you need

b*ll*cks! . . Just went down to maplins and brought a load of resistors to test out, unfortunately at a much lower wattage :banghead: right, looks i'll be back down there tomorrow if they're open. I've also found out I need vcds to reset the airbag light anyway. Thanks for you're precise information :thumbsup:

you should really repair it properly.
Crash Test 2003 - 2006 Honda Element (Side Impact W/O Side Airbags) IIHS - YouTube

and then if you die, they'll investigate why the airbags fitted as standard didnt go off and your insurance wont pay out as you bodged it up.

you're right, i really should and i probably will at some point. . . But for the moment I just need to get it through an MOT so I can get back to earning some money so i can pay for things like this.

Anyway, just found out having the air bag light on isn't actually an MOT fail yet!

Thanks

thats a point, vosa have extended the deadline for these new failure items. going to be some time in the summer apparently.

Not sure which part you are after if and when you decide to replace but if passenger side seat airbag then i have one that will probably fit..