Tyres

RHODIE

Reaction score
I have an A3 Quattro and want to know if I can put different makes of tyres on front wheels to the back axle. I have michelin primacy at the mo but don't like them. I also have outside edge tyre wear obviously a quattro trait?

Garthy,

I`d get your wheel alignment checked if I were you, I`ve never had a problem with outside edge tyre wear on quattro cars.

I`d also replace all the tyres at the same time once the alignment has been sorted out.

Someone on here is bound to know more about this than me though.

You should definitely replace all 4 tyres together - if the rolling diameter of your back wheels is any different from the front ones, it'll put a strain on your Haldex clutch. And I gather they're quite expensive. IIRC the manual says the same thing...

FWIW I totally agree about the Michelin Primacy tyres - they're utter gash... I find them none too grippy in the dry, and horrible in the wet. The trouble is, they appear to be indestructible, I've done 16K miles on the same set on the front wheels and they're absolutely, infuriatingly fine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I've had the tracking etc checked and all ok. My local dealer said I could put different makes on front & rear axles but I wasn't convinced. I won't be putting primacys back on for certain

I have a company car, and have Dunlops all round (S3 so quattro), but they are different on the front to the back - different tread patterns.

The leasing company are so tight they won't even change both tyres on the same axle, unless they are both f****d!

Perhaps I should tell them how much a new Haldex Unit is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
PreacherCain said:
FWIW I totally agree about the Michelin Primacy tyres - they're utter gash... I find them none too grippy in the dry, and horrible in the wet. The trouble is, they appear to be indestructible, I've done 16K miles on the same set on the front wheels and they're absolutely, infuriatingly fine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I realise we all drive differently and such like, but it might be interesting to see how long folks get out of different brands of tyres, compared with how grippy they are and how much they cost.

Since I haven't been through a set yet I'm not in a position to kick off such a thread. Anyone??

I am pretty new to all this too but i got 18K out of my front potanza's (on my S3) about 20K on back but that was pushing it...

Now am trying Goodyears on all 4 list for them was £160 ish but found them for £100 on net.

Forgot to say still the standard 17" Rims too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The Dunlop's have done about 20k so far with only about 3-4mil of wear. Had to change the fronts due to getting nails stuck in them though!

Has anyone who has put new tyres on front, preferbly different makes, noticed any problems with the car. Thanks for all the help so far.

On my first set of tyres - Bridgestone RE040's I got 13k out of a set (I drive the car properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and got wear on the o/s of all 4 tyres -THIS IS a trait of Quattro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
GARTHY said:
Has anyone who has put new tyres on front, preferbly different makes, noticed any problems with the car. Thanks for all the help so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this last winter I had worn through the outside edge of my rear left tire, and had to get a new set of winters (The tires were Pirelli Snowsport 190 Asymetrico's) Since this was in January, I didn't want to buy a full set at full price, when I could wait for Spring/Summer to get winter tires cheaper, I bought 2 new Dunlop Wintersport M2's to replace the REALLY bad old ones, and put them on the Back. I couldn't tell much difference, EXCEPT that the ESP tended to kick in alot more than normal.

... I'll post more later, gotta go for a sec.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sorry 'bout that, got called away for a minute. Anyway, with worn tires up front, and Brand new ones on the back the only "Issues" I had with my A3 TQ was the ESP trying to kick in, mainly through curves. It wasn't TOO drastic, but enough of an annoyance that I put my Summer tires on earlier than normal (mid-March as oppossed to late April/early May)

Hope that helps a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the help guess I'll try different brand up front soon and see what happens.
Anyone recommend a good tyre - not Michelin Primacy

I've got the standard Bridgestone's on the back of my S3 and have had Toyo T1S's on the front for about 200 miles now, found no problems at all with the car either.

Get your self a set of T1S's, for the money their an excellent tyre IMHO

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
On my first set of tyres - Bridgestone RE040's I got 13k out of a set (I drive the car properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) and got wear on the o/s of all 4 tyres -THIS IS a trait of Quattro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Moff, I've just reached 12000 miles on my S3 and I think I'm gonna need new tyres.

I thought I would have got a little more mileage out of them, 15K maybe, but they are close to the limit now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been rotating the wheels too, roughly every 3000 miles. But I think its too many fast runs around the peak district that's worn mine down.

My dilemma now is: do I only spend 400-500 on tyres for my Avus wheels, or do I spend nearer 1000 for tyres and a set of RSTT replicas? I don't know what I'll do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

AL

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar story here Moff,

My standard 17" Brifgestones were swapped at just over half worn, but only 5000 miles...and I too drive it 'properly'. Enthusiastically, would also be a good term!

No uneven tyre wear on mine though...absolutely equal accross the tyre with both edges scrubbed and the middle chewed! I guess that's what just over 1.0 degree of front negative camber and over 300 lb-ft does!

Currently on 18" Avons, and the wear pattern is the same...tyres are under half worn, with approx 4000 miles on them.

Have also got a set of Pirelli P-Zero Rossos to try...but not done so yet.

Both the Avons and the Bridgestones are not to my liking though...
I think I'll find inner peace with a set of Toyo T1-Ss...awesome tyre!

[ QUOTE ]
GARTHY said:
I have an A3 Quattro and want to know if I can put different makes of tyres on front wheels to the back axle. I have michelin primacy at the mo but don't like them. I also have outside edge tyre wear obviously a quattro trait?

[/ QUOTE ]

GARTHY,
I believe you are fine with different brands of tyre accross the front and back, since the Haldex is electro-hydraulically coupled it will not be damaged by the slightly different rolling raduis of the tyres, assuming the tyres are the same size, just different makes.

At least, this is the way I understand it to be...of course I may be way off on this, but I can see no reason why.

Outer edge tyre wear is also nothing to worry about...it's not just a quattro thing, it's a FWD thing...and don't forget the A3q or S3q are mainly FWD until the front's slip.
Basically the wear on the outside edge is by virtue of the front end understeering and scrubbing the outer edge of the tyre...unfortunately all current Audis (and VWs) also di this...it's simply because of the 'safe' suspension settings, FWD and front end heavy chassis.
Nothing to worry about...if you drive fast you will also get it at the rear...again nowt to sweat about,

This trait can be dialled out, but you get into deep suspension theory to do so...springs, dampers, negative camber, anti-roll bars etc...

Thanks Ess Three.
I was thinking of Pirelli P Zero Rosso's so let me know how you get on.

[ QUOTE ]
My dilemma now is: do I only spend 400-500 on tyres for my Avus wheels, or do I spend nearer 1000 for tyres and a set of RSTT replicas? I don't know what I'll do.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

Set of 18" RS4 replicas with Avon ZZ3 rubber, £899 from Premier Wheels in Nelson. They'll give you at least a £200 trade in for your Avus wheels or you could flog them on one of the forums for more than that possibly.

So basically you could have 4 brand new tyres and a nice set of RS/TT alloys for only a couple of hundred quid more than the cost of four new tyres, bit of a no brainer really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:
Al,

Set of 18" RS4 replicas with Avon ZZ3 rubber, £899 from Premier Wheels in Nelson. They'll give you at least a £200 trade in for your Avus wheels or you could flog them on one of the forums for more than that possibly.

Christian

[/ QUOTE ]
Arrgghhh don't touch Avons!! Even though they come standard on Rolls Royce and Bentleys they always come out sh*te in tyre tests.

Al, get the RSTT's, we are going to next time. They are an investment when you come to sell the car IMO. I though AmD were selling RSTT replicas and tyres for £899?? If they are we know a man that can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Otherwise I am going to spend a bit more next time and go for Michelin Pilot Sports, as I am sure that with Jules' driving she will get 30k out of them... until Buxton /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:

Al,

So basically you could have 4 brand new tyres and a nice set of RS/TT alloys for only a couple of hundred quid more than the cost of four new tyres, bit of a no brainer really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Christian

[/ QUOTE ]

AL...if you go down this route, do yourself a favour and get a price with some decent rubber!
The Avon ZZ3s I'm sure are OK...I have the ZZ1s and they are crap...much like every other Avon tyre I've ever driven on over the years.

Go for something a bit more sporting, if you know what I mean.

Try them for a price including Toyo T1-S or something similar.

The Toyos have awesome dry grip and perception altering wet grip! Incredible! I can't believe they will be much more that £20 per tyre more than those Avon things.
They are that good in the wet, that I use them as my trackday wets.

The Toyos will wear out slightly quicker than the Avons, but the difference in grip is astounding...if you really push your car, you will find the Avons just do not cut it - I find that at the moment.

Of course, the ZZ3s may be a whole new kettle of fish...but I doubt it...perhaps someone has already tried them and can comment?
It would be a miracle...!

I've got Avon ZZ3s and I like them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Loads of grip, great in the wet and they seem to be wearing very well.

I read a tyre review in Autocar last weekend and the Avons were praised for their fine wet weather handling (important in the UK) although to be fair as you've said Moff/Glen they didn't fair to well in the dry handling test.

They are very competitively priced though.

Christian

You lot are a really bad influence! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thing is, I like the Avus wheels, they are the S-car wheels. But, they don't fill the arches enough on the S3, IMO. (Would the new S4 wheels fit???)

If I get RS/TT replica's, it will cost a lot more than £899, as:

1) lowering is a must, for the right look. h&r 25mm springs £320+VAT (inc fitting, & alignment at AmD)
2) spacers are a must front and rear (cost ?)
3) new wheel bolts and locking nuts

To be honest, I don't think I can afford it. Balls, I don't know what to do, arrrrrggh.

Either way, Toyo's will be tyres going on my car.

AL

They new S4 Avus wheels are 18", but they wont fit the S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif which is a shame cos im with you on this one... think the avus wheels are realyl nice, but could do with being 18's.

Would the A4 hubs fit the A3/S3?

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Drystone said:
I've got Avon ZZ3s and I like them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Loads of grip, great in the wet and they seem to be wearing very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tyres were you on before?
Compared to the standard fit long-life-but-grippy-as-hardwood standard fit tyres, the Avon's are pretty good.
But compared with the market leaders, Avons have never cut it.

I'm not even a fan of Pilot Sports...they let go too easily for my liking.

The best I've ever used are the Toyo T1-Ss...but perhaps they just suit my driving style.
The old Yokohama A510s were awesome...but the A520s dire.

The old Yokohama 008s were OK, but the 008Rs incredible - for trackday / hillclimb use only of course!

I've never found a Pirelli that i've liked either...but I'll give the P-Zero Rossos a bash...although a fairly un-hopeful bash at that.

To be fair, my standard fit Bridgestone RE040s weren't bad (at least that's what I think were fitted)...but they were nowhare near as good as the old Re71s.

I guess, at the end of the day, it's personal choice...if you like them and get on with them...then that's good...and you can't argue with that.

[ QUOTE ]

They are very competitively priced though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed so. And so much better than the no-name or ichyfanny 2000 remoulds that some people run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Glen,

As you guessed I haven't experienced other performance tyres so thats probably why the Avons feel so much better than my previous (factory fit) Dunlop SPs, they were on smaller wheels as well.
I bow down to your superior experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not even a fan of Pilot Sports...they let go too easily for my liking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they probably do, but I can't see my girlfriend struggling there!

Al, I am surprised your tyres lasted this long! After Buxton, I really did take a lot of wear off the Toyo's! Luckily my girlfriends driving style should ensure that they still do 15k-20k.

Oh and while we are on the subject of tyres, my rears on the S2000 are looking scary already! I think there are easily down to half way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and I have just got to 4000 miles. I do want new ones for the winter months though, so I am going the right way about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rear wheel drive, 240bhp, no traction control, and very soft compound tyre are no a good competition, thank f I am not paying for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

IMO No, if they do only slightly.

I had them on the 206 GTi from new, then replaced them with the Toyo's which had more grip. The wear seemed to be indentical to me. The Toyo's had far more dry weather grip.

I have two different brands and tread patterns on the front! and it actually works extremely well.....no problems.