Would you choose an S3 or an S4?

• Thread starter imported_ZeroK66
  • Start date
I

imported_ZeroK66

Hello all,

Tough one... I am stuck between deciding between these great cars and I would like other peoples point of view.

I love the S4:
Power, REAL Quattro

I love the S3:
Nimble smaller car and a more rewarding drive. Easier to work on/mod.

What are your views and what would ultimately be/has been your choice?

<u>S4</u>

Pros -

More space if you need to carry people in rear. Bigger boot
Faster than S3

Cons -

doesn't look as good as S3 imo
tend to have higher mileages

I would say the S4 is genereally driven by the older gentleman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif whilst the S3 appeals more to the younger crowd

S3 or S4 Avant depending on how much space you need. S4 saloon of little point.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 looks better than S4, IMO
would probably bypass S4 for a RS4

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most people would get an RS4 over an S4 if it was a free upgrade.. its the 10-20K price difference that puts most people off.

s4 too lardy imo,not as fast as you think.
I'd have a rs4 though,although my s3 is at least as fast as a standard one.

I was being sensible... doesn't look like I'll be able to afford one for a while now, but an E39 M5 with 400BHP would be class, if you look at the evo independant tests it's quicker than the new M3 and there are some nice ones dropping below 20 grand now!

I have just had to make that decision and I went for the S3, the S4 isn't that much quicker, certainly no quicker that a remapped S3, fuel economy does suffer in the S4 as compared to the S3 and the S3 does look the nutts (so does the S4 but the S3 is the nicer of the 2) RS4 is a different story althogether

A practical view but I'd say the S4 is likely to have significantly higher maintenance costs in the long term - two cylinder heads instead of one etc, e.g. if it's a 2.7 bi-turbo S4 then there's a reputed problem with pourous cylinder heads.

Even the 'proper' quattro system has it's downsides, a reduced tolerance to tread depth differences front to rear, permanent 4wd meaning you're 'always' wearing out the back tyres and using more fuel. That irritating quattro scrub when at full lock.

Then there's the sheer amount of fuel - you have to weigh up the bang for buck if you ask me.

Money worries aside, you can't beat the noise of 6+ cylinders, the S3 sounds like a bag of nails when starting up and at idle, and is little better when given welly.

Just some thoughts, but to my mind you're comparing chalk and cheese in many ways.

Excellent, thanks guys!! Every morning I wake up wtih a different view/thought on it.

As I say I am a young lad (23) and the S3 visually would probably suit me better... the power/potential and sound of the 6 is what I lust after... that is what keeps drawing me back.

Having owned a 1.8T (S3 motor) w/ an IHI @ 340BHP... I lust for the revy 4 cylinder with the rush of the big turbo kicking in over the lazy v6... so who knows what my choice will be. Probably down to the extras on the particular car/the mileage/year & of course price.

If any of you are selling anything of interest, let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L

mmmmmmmm i wanna new A4 DTM version very nice indeed

Doesn't a standard s4 have 265bhp thats around 175atw(torsen). A standard s3 has 225bhp thats also 165atw(haldex) the s3 is lighter than a s4 (1.512kg vs 1.375kg).
so s3, 120bhp atw/t
s4, 115.7bhp atw/t
chipped s3 254bhp/194bhp@wheels
chipped s4 305bhp/215bhp@wheels
s3 chipped, 141bhp/t
s4 chipped, 142bhp/t
Not alot of difference in it,the s4 will have alot more torque,so slightly better in-gear acceleration times but the s3 will out-handle the s4..

Maybe someone should ask David R?
He sold his exceptionally clean tweaked S4 to buy my exceptionally tweaked S3!

Chipped S3 vs standard S4...there isn't much in it...but the S4 is quicker in a straight line.

Chipped S3 vs chipped S4...bye, bye S3.

The S3 will out-handle the S4 everywhere, outbrake the S4 everywhere, and is nicer to drive. The S4 is a wallowy old hector with the responses of a fully laden supertanker.

The S4 is faster though...and when chipped, much faster...

But for chucking about on backroads..the S3 rules....although to be honest...a standard suspension S3 vs a standard suspension S4 is most likely a battle of will rather than any huge handling advantage.

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't a standard s4 have 265bhp thats around 175atw(torsen). A standard s3 has 225bhp thats also 165atw(haldex) the s3 is lighter than a s4 (1.512kg vs 1.375kg).
so s3, 120bhp atw/t
s4, 115.7bhp atw/t
chipped s3 254bhp/194bhp@wheels
chipped s4 305bhp/215bhp@wheels
s3 chipped, 141bhp/t
s4 chipped, 142bhp/t
Not alot of difference in it,the s4 will have alot more torque,so slightly better in-gear acceleration times but the s3 will out-handle the s4..

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very well done Ryan - thanks. I have been wondering about that given the weight etc. I love the idea of a nice IHI a lil lag and a lot of noise... I do enjoy smaller 4pot turbos for fun. I am deffo seeing the S4 as more of a cruizer now than ever before.

Ess_three - Thanks for your input there. I did actually have a word with him and he says he much prefers the S3 as the drivers car!!