Clutch!

aaron61191

Reaction score
I guys i have a 98 a3 1.8 turbo 150 bhp model, quite new to this so here goes, today my clutch started slipping, not bad in first and second but from 3r
d gear up from about 3k rpm is just revs and nothing else, will i have to replace just the clutch pr more? And i am thinking of a remap soon as i already have a few mods, woyld it be a waste of time putting in a standard clutch, would i need an aftermarket clutch to cope with the remapped extra power? Any help wpuld be fantastic.

Prawn is your man who has a lot if experience with clutches on these but if I remember correctly the vr6 single mass flywheel and clutch is the one to go for but I'm sure someone will tell you the specifics

If not have a search as it's been covered many of times but you need one for the a3 as the s3 is different ;)

You should get a vr6 clutch and a g60 flywheel, all for under 200 quid. It's will cope with more than the power you want and is reliable.go for it before you clutc goes lol

Hello matey, got your PM, thought I'd reply in here so it comes up for anyone searching in future.

As said above, what you need is an ABF/G60 flywheel (they're the same), and a vr6 clutch kit.

The flywheel is most easily found from an ABF engine, which was fitted to the mk3 golf 2.0 16v, so common as muck, it's also on the G60 engines, but these arn't so common.

If you're anywhere near Hampshire, I've got an ABF flywheel sat in the garage if you wanted to get one second hand.

As for the clutch, you need a vr6 3 piece clutch kit, for a 2.8 AAA engine, consisting of pressure plate, fritcion plate, and release bearing. These are about £150 from VW, or £90 from GSF, I ran GSF LUK clutches for years without any problems.

You'll also need all the 6 flywheel - crank bolts from an ABF engine, you can't reuse yours, they are too long. also get the small bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. All the bolts in total are about £15 from VW

The flywheel is lighter, the clutch is stronger (it'll take 300lbft), and the pedal feel is also much improved! it's win win win, all for not a lot of money :)

I baught a complete kit from tecniclutch through ebay, I only paid £130 for the lot including the bolts delivered, all fitted perfectly, its been on the car for about 4K now and no probs at all, nice and light on the left leg too.

Great reply Prawn, that's saved me a headache.
My S3 is currently on 126k miles, X-reg and never had the clutch or flywheel changed (original OEM).
It wasn't until another S3 owner (51 plate, 40k miles) said his dual mass flywheel had just gone and fckd his car up costing him a fair bit for repair.
I didn't realise the clutch and flywheel on 8L S3 was so poor?
So at 126k miles on original clutch and flywheel I should seriously be considering a change?

Hello matey, got your PM, thought I'd reply in here so it comes up for anyone searching in future.

As said above, what you need is an ABF/G60 flywheel (they're the same), and a vr6 clutch kit.

The flywheel is most easily found from an ABF engine, which was fitted to the mk3 golf 2.0 16v, so common as muck, it's also on the G60 engines, but these arn't so common.

If you're anywhere near Hampshire, I've got an ABF flywheel sat in the garage if you wanted to get one second hand.

As for the clutch, you need a vr6 3 piece clutch kit, for a 2.8 AAA engine, consisting of pressure plate, fritcion plate, and release bearing. These are about £150 from VW, or £90 from GSF, I ran GSF LUK clutches for years without any problems.

You'll also need all the 6 flywheel - crank bolts from an ABF engine, you can't reuse yours, they are too long. also get the small bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. All the bolts in total are about £15 from VW

The flywheel is lighter, the clutch is stronger (it'll take 300lbft), and the pedal feel is also much improved! it's win win win, all for not a lot of money :)

Evening all! 1st post - BOOM

Prawn, will this set up work for the AMK lump?

Cheers fella