Volks AutosChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Exhaust Questions - Relentless Manifold/De-Cat Noise?

My current setup is as follows: -

Engine - 1.8T AMK
    Downpipe - Pipewerx 3" with 200cpsi sports CAT
    Cat-Back - Milltek Resonated

The car is R-Tech mapped to 280bhp and drives very nicely and is quite a peaceful place to be when driving at any speed.

Q1) Would replacing the sports cat with a de-cat offer anything performance wise?

Q2) I'm thinking about fitting a Relentless/XS Power manifold in the near future, do these alter the exhaust noise a fair bit? Have only seen one video on youtube which wasn't that great.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Ive got the pipeworx down pipe and decat and before/ after there is a bit more spool noise and a rush of air through the exhaust. I personaly like it but i could see some not being a fan.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks Paul, a rush of air/spool noise I could live with, it's more a boomy drone I'm worried about.

Just trying to see if the "performance" gain is worth the extra noise.

6th Gear

Status
    I had a little more drone/ boom when my miltek was resinated. I bought the un resinated section and the noise is strangely more refined now and much easier to live with,
    The only time it even seems noisey ( not realy but if your being picky ) is when on tickover from cold goes quiet after about 2 min
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan87 View Post
    My current setup is as follows: -

Engine - 1.8T AMK
    Downpipe - Pipewerx 3" with 200cpsi sports CAT
    Cat-Back - Milltek Resonated

The car is R-Tech mapped to 280bhp and drives very nicely and is quite a peaceful place to be when driving at any speed.

Q1) Would replacing the sports cat with a de-cat offer anything performance wise?

Q2) I'm thinking about fitting a Relentless/XS Power manifold in the near future, do these alter the exhaust noise a fair bit? Have only seen one video on youtube which wasn't that great.
    Sport cat / decat performance gains are subjective. Sounds would be more noticeable.

Xs power manifold creates far more noise from the engine bay but in a very good way. When mapped, torque and bhp are greatly improved as the engine is far more free flowing. It's an pain to fit but immense. throttle response is also noticeably better.

You can pick up the version 2 from Sam Bryant, on here, for about £197. You won't regret it.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the feedback guys :-)

Chugger

Status
    I had an xs power mani and down pipe fitted onto standard exhaust and it didn't make much more noise at all... Iv since fitted a single box power flow system and it sounds ridiculous outside, but in the cabin it's fine, even on the motorway.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

2nd Gear

Status
    Any of the XS mani users got videos?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    I had an xs power mani and down pipe fitted onto standard exhaust and it didn't make much more noise at all... Iv since fitted a single box power flow system and it sounds ridiculous outside, but in the cabin it's fine, even on the motorway.
    I'm really suprised at that but you will know better of course. The xs power mani on mine totally changed the car noise. You can really hear the whooshing of the air around the engine bay now.

Perhaps mine was assisted by the stage 3 hybrid that I had installed at the same time but interesting that your experience differs. I wonder if others had the same.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan87 View Post
    Any of the XS mani users got videos?
    I'm on the rolling road again tomorrow/Friday and i'll post a video then With the bonnet up so you can gauge it in all it's glory under duress. Hoping to head further north of 310.

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks, look forward to it.

2nd Gear

Status
    Did you manage to take a video?