sheared stud in exhaust manifold to turbo

kaos

Reaction score
damn cars starting to be a pain now im discovering all the previous bodges :(
exhaust had a slight blow slowly getting worse i discovered a nut wasnt done up looking from above engine in middle at back below red pipe off turbo can see 3 nuts the center one at top wasnt done up. tried and was tight so tried gently undoing it and it sheared off straight away!! :(
any tips suggestions please as now its blowing badly :(

Oh dear that's not fun! I had the same but with one of the downpipe bolts. Tried to use an "easy out" which also sheared off inside and then ended up having to drill it all out. Luckily for me I was already taking the turbo out.

If it's sheared flush with the turbo then I think you're going to have to take the turbo off to sort it.

looks like a fair bit of thread left its sheared just below the maifold level. how many bolts hold the turbo up is it just the three seen from above?
if so if i undo the other two would it be possible to drop the turbo slightly enough to get some grips on the thread and try wind it out?

looks like a fair bit of thread left its sheared just below the maifold level. how many bolts hold the turbo up is it just the three seen from above?
if so if i undo the other two would it be possible to drop the turbo slightly enough to get some grips on the thread and try wind it out?

Yeah just the 3 bolts. If you can get it out with grips then you'll save yourself a load of work. Good luck.

well i went to do this and my 17mm socket wouldnt go on the other two nuts. its seems the maifold is in the way. guessing i need one of those alloy wheel thin wall sockets??
:s

I tried 4 different sockets two of which are my best snap on short 6points and they just wouldn't go on the manifold is so close to the nuts ?? :s