Finally got an a3 but slight issue...

danfloun

Reaction score
Hi,I finally settled for a a3 1.8 2001 as it was too good a condition and too low miles to pass up.The car drives well, very smooth no knocks or thuds, acceleration is good as is handling.Gears and clutch are very nice and smooth and feel like new, which they should as the cars only covered 31k?

Full audi history and checked online with vosa, everything suggests the mileage is genuine, even the cabin still smells new and its immaculate inside. The seats have no wear at all, I'm happy, till today.Ive never had an a3 so am unsure as to whether its normal, though im a little concerned i may have an issue with the flywheel or cambelt pulleys, or something else.

Very hard to describe, its most obvious when driving at about 35, in 5th gear and taking up the slack in the clutch pedal. If then you give it some throttle, you feel a strange (mild) pulsing vibration through the clutch pedal. I can't hear any noise, and if i only rest my foot on the clutch pedal i dont feel it. The clutch pedal doesn't pulse up and down, its more that the vibration you can feel is pulsing. Again, you have to take up the slack in the pedal and not always obvious....

31k!!

Any thoughts?

Yours concerned,
Danny

Should add that it does it stationary too, if you stick the handbrake on and take revs to about 2000rpm then take the clutch to biting point. Wish i had another a3 to compare it too.

Last edited:
try going in 4th at 35mph, you might find the engine just doesnt like going 35 in 5th.

oh hold on take it back, didnt properly read your second post haha my bad