Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    6th Gear

Status

Smile Audi S3 Battery dead'ish

Hi,

Does anybody know how much voltage is needed to start an S3, I bought a new battery last year because the old one had died, well now this one is giving me problems, went to start the car yesterday after not driving it for a few days and it didn't have enough juice to turn over, I'm guessing that something is draining the battery whilst the car is sat locked up, just been and bought a battery charger from halfords and when I hooked it up it's showing the battery as having 13.7 volts, after doing some reading up on the Internet I'd of thought this was enough to start my car ?

Has anybody else had problems with getting a flat battery ? Looking for ideas on what could be draining it, only thing I've checked so far is the lights in the boot, make sure they're going out, which they are.

Cheers for looking
    revo'd

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    If you say that its fully charged the its could be a connection.Check the terminals first and clean off any corrosion

Brum brum

Status
    Does the car have a tracker? That will drain a battery over a couple of weeks. I have to keep my Speedster on a trickle charger for that reason.

Only problem I had with the S3 and battery was with an aftermarket iPOD connector for the stereo that was causing a current drain.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    If you say that its fully charged the its could be a connection.Check the terminals first and clean off any corrosion
    The terminals look ok cheers
    revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    Does the car have a tracker? That will drain a battery over a couple of weeks. I have to keep my Speedster on a trickle charger for that reason.

Only problem I had with the S3 and battery was with an aftermarket iPOD connector for the stereo that was causing a current drain.

I did wonder if it could be my phat box in the boot, it just plugs into the lead from the cd multi changer and there isn't a light on the box with the car switched off so not convinced its that.

Im going to try leaving the car in the garage unlocked and see if that improves things, thinking it might be something to do with the alarm, see if I bm an rule that out.

Going back to the charge, when I first plugged it in to charge it was showing 13.7 volts, however it only took 15 mins to charge and was showing 13.2 volts when finished, what's the lightly hood of a dodgy battery ?
    revo'd

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Are you sure your starter is not getting lazy...? needing a refurb/new one

6th Gear

Status
    No Dave, starter seems fine, once I'd recharged the battery which took all of 15 minutes, the car started instantly on the turn of the key.
    revo'd

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    You could do with testing to see if there is something draining it, have you an aftermarket stereo? these can cause problems

1st Gear

Status
    i've been having issues with battery drain. do you have a multimeter? you need one that has at least a 10A setting. then look up on youtube at a parasitic battery drain test.

Doing the test you should find whats draining your battery - im in the process of doing the test now. so far ive narrowed it down to a cable in the fuse box on top of the battery. the cable marked in blue below is where i found my drain coming from, just need to find out what that cable feeds.

sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone know what that cable feeds?
    Last edited by Crazypete00; 30th April 2012 at 09:35.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Essflee,
    I had similar battery drain issues. Check my thread out, there's some useful info in there:

Xreg Imola Yellow S3 - Project post

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies !

After charging the car yesterday, jumped in it early this morning and car wouldn't start again, steering wheel took a pounding, lol

Going to invest in a multimeter and see if I can find a drain, I've unplugged my phatbox in the boot to see if this makes a difference, when I do find the problem I'll post up.
    revo'd