Anyone dab handy with TDI's?

LoopTrooper

Reaction score
Just got a TDI 90 just trying to find out what kind of things would reduce MPG and make it run a bit crap so I can go around and check them. Never had diesels before so don't really know what to look out for.

I know the tandem pump (I think) is leaking, so that needs the gasket changed so that should give me better MPG as the diesel won't be under the car instead of in it. Too expensive a substance to be letting leak out!

Clean your EGR and inlet manifold.
Clean your injectors in an ultrasonic bath.
If your car is getting on, consider a new MAF or you might have luck with cleaning the old one (i have).
Change the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced in a while.

All relatively cheap but make no end of difference.... should keep you going for a while.

Basics first, fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter. Once these are covered, dig deeper, mafs are common failures at 100k+, boost leaks and then as george says egr, injectors etc.

Its a non PD car if that makes any difference, the car is on 160k and it feels spot on to drive mechanically. Which is why I'm keen to keep on top of stuff because it has a lot of VW/Audi stamps in the book and has generally been looked after well. Just want to keep on top of it so it keeps on running well.

I was just going to service it (oil filter, oil, air filter, fuel filter, grease the check straps etc) but I thought if there are other things worth doing might as well make a day out of it.

I'm guessing cleaning the EGR, Inlet and MAF just consists of carb cleaner and lots of blue roll?

Cleaning the EGR is carb cleaner, blue roll and scraping... inlet is harder, either burn the **** off with a blowtorch or use oven cleaner overnight. I've also got a sundae spoon to claw the soot out....

I'll add latex gloves to the list in that case. This diesel game seems like a whole load of fun!