New owner A3 1.8t Quattro - Brake issue

Craigmini

Reaction score
Hi all, My first post here!

I have today found and bought what seems like the ideal car for us in terms of practicality (two dogs in the boot), looks performance, 4 wheel drive and cost.

I fell in love with the car!

I have searched around but haven't found a definitive answer.

The brake pedal feels rather soft/spoungy. Though the car stops like you would expect ( i think). Almost feels like there is too much assistance for the servo.

The rear pad are ready for changing, so that will be done soon.

The previous owner had the car through its mot (or atleast the swedish equivalent) in the last weeks and it passed. But i guess they only test the brakes at full travel.

I have have classic minis with servo and non servo and me last car was alfa 147 and they all had a fairly stiff pedal.

The car has a full audio service history and was last serviced 10,000km ago, apparently the brakes where the same feel. The previous owner didn't seem to think it was any issue!

May be nothing wrong but it is just a little unnerving to with a fairly powerful car.

I hate to join a forum with a question but ---- Any ideas, what this could be?

I should ad that when the engine is off the pedal feels like i would expect to to feel (medium firm).

Hi all, My first post here!

I have today found and bought what seems like the ideal car for us in terms of practicality (two dogs in the boot), looks performance, 4 wheel drive and cost.

I fell in love with the car!

I have searched around but haven't found a definitive answer.

The brake pedal feels rather soft/spoungy. Though the car stops like you would expect ( i think). Almost feels like there is too much assistance for the servo.

The rear pad are ready for changing, so that will be done soon.

The previous owner had the car through its mot (or atleast the swedish equivalent) in the last weeks and it passed. But i guess they only test the brakes at full travel.

I have have classic minis with servo and non servo and me last car was alfa 147 and they all had a fairly stiff pedal.

The car has a full audio service history and was last serviced 10,000km ago, apparently the brakes where the same feel. The previous owner didn't seem to think it was any issue!

May be nothing wrong but it is just a little unnerving to with a fairly powerful car.

I hate to join a forum with a question but ---- Any ideas, what this could be?

hi m8 ive got the excat same problem with the s3 i just bought, ive bin on all these fourm aswell and carnt get a staright answer, my brakes where proper spongy when i got it 2 weeks ago, so i changed the pads and bleed with an ezzibleeder, apprently u need to use the ezzibleed, you carnt do it the old fashion way by pumping, anyway after doing the pads the brakes feelt a bit better but still spongy, this past two weeks ive tryed to find out why, i read a lot of threads on hear about bleeding the brakes and from wot i can make out is, the first thing u need to do is, 1 bleed the brskes 2 bleed the clutch, 3 bleed the master cyilnder. please some 1 correct me if im wrong??, u also need to check the brake vacuum hose out the servo because there prone to cracking causing spongy brakes. and for wot i can read on hear, if all the dont work u have air stuck in ur abs pump, and the only way to get it out is on a dianostic meachne vag-com. i hope there helps.

Bleeding the master cylinder (as I have mentioned to you before) is the same process as the rest of the brakes... you do it last after bleeding the rest of the brakes when doing a fluid change or can be done seperately...

Using the Eezi Bleed kit you have, pressurise as before then undo one of the 2 bleed nipples in turn... thats about it..

For the clutch, pump the pedal hard 5 times then (again using the eezi bleed kit) undo the bleed nipple on the pipe where it goes into the slave cylinder connection by the starter motor... let some fluid come out then close off and pump 5 times again... this gets the fluid into the slave cylinder too... repeat until happy..

These cars are over servo'd anyway and the pedals will always feel a little wooly...

<tuffty/>