Serious problem less than 50 miles after have cambelt kit and water pump !!

Nick090884

Reaction score
Hi ya Peep's

Im after some much needed advice as i now there are a big handful of good lads on here. I had my cambelt tensioner pullies and waterpump and Aux belt changed two days ago and ive just this minute drove to the shop and theres a lound wining when the car axcellerates or revs. im gunna get them to pick it up monday im fuming at the moment and could do with some advice as to whats gone wrong and what to do if they try it on . im gunna struggle not to hit em as ive just brought a few months ago and laid out 300 quid for them to do it . i supplied the aux belt as they had to take it of to do the belt. it was a continental belt so wasnt a crap one. HELP PLEASE !!!!

I put my money on low PAS fluid.. Westy knows about this..

Either low power steering fluid or the tards at the garage you had it done at have tightened the belt too tight lol

Hi ya Guy's cheer's
If it the Power steering Fulid how would this just go so low. the levels where fine when i took it to them. it wines when i move the steering wheel too.

if the belts been done to tight shall i get them to change it cos the likely hood its been rubbing to make that noise .
cheers

so when you load up the power steering its more noisy? is the level low? is it leaking anywhere?

Right ive looked at the black power steering resirvior and had look in side and its below the black plastic mesh. if this is low could they have lost it when removing the bits to get to the cambelt? the aux belts running ok not rubbing. the wining noise has gone with it just ticking over. will go for a careful drive tomorrow . just see ya post mate . done look like it leaking but its hard to tell. i will go and have a go putting some pressure on the steering.

Right ive looked at the black power steering resirvior and had look in side and its below the black plastic mesh. if this is low could they have lost it when removing the bits to get to the cambelt? the aux belts running ok not rubbing. the wining noise has gone with it just ticking over. will go for a careful drive tomorrow . just see ya post mate . done look like it leaking but its hard to tell. i will go and have a go putting some pressure on the steering.

No mate, they really really shouldn't be touching that... It a can leak out of the seals on the steering rack over time, just refill it with ATF and see if the noise goes away. If not, they've done the cambelt too tight and they need to adjust it... If it's too tight for too long it'll snap, and if you're going fast enough when it does snap, you'll probably need 20 new valves :S

Hi ya Ben and Murran. ive just been out its ok when the wheel is straight and noisey when under load. find it strange that its happened two days after them having it. its wet outside and had a little wheel spin when driving back this would upset the rack in any way would it ? fingers crossed its not leaking. wouldnt it be moved to do the belt ?

Cheers again ( you have all calmed me down at bit) :scared2:

O where im i filling this up to is there a marker as i couldnt see any. is it ok just to top up not sure whats in there. any recomended makes or types i'll poop to halfords in the morning before i send it back.

Last edited:
Buy genuine power steering fluid not Halfords ATF as you'll damage the steering rack ! The genuine PAS fluid is under a tenner in dealer...

Buy genuine power steering fluid not Halfords ATF as you'll damage the steering rack ! The genuine PAS fluid is under a tenner in dealer...

Nice one fella. will wait til tomorrow then and pop down there.

No mate, they really really shouldn't be touching that... It a can leak out of the seals on the steering rack over time, just refill it with ATF and see if the noise goes away. If not, they've done the cambelt too tight and they need to adjust it... If it's too tight for too long it'll snap, and if you're going fast enough when it does snap, you'll probably need 20 new valves :S

Sorry don't agree here. You have to undo/ remove pas reservoir to get to engine mount and Cambelt, so they would have had to touch it. You will nearly always loose a bit of fluid if your not careful just one of this things.

Also almost positive you can't over tighten the Cambelt. The tensioner provides the correct
tension

Last edited:
Sorry don't agree here. You have to undo/ remove pas reservoir to get to engine mount and Cambelt, so they would have had to touch it. You will nearly always loose a bit of fluid if your not careful just one of this things.

Also almost positive you can't over tighten the Cambelt. The tensioner provides the correct
tension

Agreed, p/s reservoir requires a pipe removing to gain access to the mount, you may lose some fluid.

Adamms24 is correct, vag do not use normal ATF as p/s fluid, they use a specific mineral based fluid. Using the correct fluid is imperitive to keeping the seals intact.

You cannot over tension the cambelt, an automatic hydraulic damper sets the tension. Never seen a 20v belt over tensioned, only under tensioned where the damper has failed.

Hope that helps.

cool nice one fella's. i will talk to the garage in the morning andget them to sort it. i will make sure they get the correct fulid. also having a look this morning ive found that the bottom left hand sheild /engine protector was on the floor scrapping so that was part of the noise.

the tossers my car is in A1 condition they should of respected my car and they clearly havent. they will be getting a ear full.

Cheers again lad's

Agree with the above, mineral oil is VAGs power steering fluid, and cambelt can not be over tight due to hydraulic tensioner used.

I thought it might have been a badly fitted camcover!

Agree with the above, mineral oil is VAGs power steering fluid, and cambelt can not be over tight due to hydraulic tensioner used.

I thought it might have been a badly fitted camcover!

Hi ya mate, good to have a few people all say the same. the cam cover is on ok. think most the noise was from the undercover on the floor couldnt see that last night as it was too dark. the noise isnt as bad now but gunna get the garage to fix it tomorrow even if i have to get the fulid myself and charge them for it. im gunna demand they check it all over as they didnt first time round , otherwise they would of seen the protector wasnt fitted correct or fixed and that the fulid level was low. wont be going there again !!

Where did you get it done in the end mate? And keep us updated so we know whether to avoid them or not. Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Where did you get it done in the end mate? And keep us updated so we know whether to avoid them or not. Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Hi ya dude i got it done at sliverback proformance in the end because a load of people i know have said they was good. im hoping it will get sorted angot a good idea that it wasnt done by the actually bloke i was recommended to. think it was a young ish lad.

I wish i took it to AMD in essex now . no way i am letting them do anything else !

Worst feeling in the world. Rev the car, loud screeching grinding noises on the belt side of the engine, shut off the engine thinking it's all ruined, heart sinks.

i know man ! heart went cold and jumped a beat. there wont be any damage to the car will there ? just top up n get it double checked jobbie. still feel crap, until i get it sorted that will be the only thing on my mind. my cars are like my kids.

I can't stand taking my car to a garage that doesn't know about VAGs.

You'll usually end up with broken and missing clips all over the place. Snapped trim and connectors where they didn't know how to remove something so just levered it off with a screw driver.

Or is you're really unlucky they'll use some random coolant or generic fluid to top up something special that VAG concocted.

Do you reckon random/independent garages look up the torque values for all the nuts and bolts they undo or do they just do them all FT?

Liam

My faith in them has been restored. phoned them this morning he sorted it straight away . looks like saturday night i hit a speed bump and dislogded the undertray coursing it to rub on the aux belt. he sorted that and topped up the powersteering with the correct fulid. said sorry and that the fulid should of been topped up. its was only a few mil of fulid short. all sorted happy man!

spoke to him about a few bit's, had a quick dribble at the highly modded range of motors there and off i went.

I think i would go back there again when i need a few bit done, if i dont do them myself.

Nice one Silverback ! ooh ooh :arco:

Wow, hopefully they dont read this thread then :p Else they'l be rubbing dog ****e into your carpets next time round :nyah:

Just for reference, it is recommended that you use genuine power steering fluid, but vw/audi would have you using there own distilled water in the washers... but fact is you can use stuff from halfords if you find yourself with no choice (late night or weekend job)... just have to use their hydraulic fluid rather then their specific P/S fluid... iv had it in mine for 2 years will no problems and used it in my other vag cars which are still going strong with the same fluid

Ha ha hopefully they dont. they should of still double checked everything :asskicking: . i double check and triple check and check again when im at work on my fire alarm panels. ive always had a methodical way of doing things to ensure its done correctly

Happy days anyway ! few more bits to do then on to a few little mods :rockwoot: