Oil pressure warning

gash

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Got into ma s3 this morning, started it up and the oil pressure warning came on.

I checked the dip stick and it was very low, i then topped up with about 1L checked the dip stick to find it way past the maximum.

I have been checking my oil on a regular basis and its always been ok, the last time it was checked was last weekend and found a good level.

Something just doesnt seem to be adding up! can the dip pipe get blocked giving you a false reading?

Anyone got any ideas?

I think it was the oil level, im sure it was only one beep but I wasnt looking out for it as i didnt know there was a diff.

The display is knakered so not very easy to make out.

Cheers for that, nothing really to worry about then.

does anyone no if it will be ok with the oil now being above the max? i was hoping it will just consume it over time.

if its the pick up pipe then yes, its really something to worry about. If the light comes on with 3 beeps then dont drive it, if it was just oil low then dont worry too much if you have filled it up

Oil pickups get clogged with crap and kill engines, if you have not already done so the I'd suggest a very good move would be to drop the sump and clean/replace the pickup (Its only about £8 new) and well worth doing as it WILL kill your engine if its really badly clogged. There is a how-to on the forum thats well worth a read.

Yes get it done ASAP! Better yet dont drive! Low oil light is a bad sign as it tends to be too late! Just it get checked out matey and let us know how you get along! :thumbsup:

Cheers for the feedback lads.

I hoping there will be no damage done as the oil was there, just not registering on the dip stick for what ever reason and causing the alarm to set off.

Does anyone have any thoughts to why i wouldnt get a reading? only to top up with 1l and for the level to be a good bit over the max? I was sitting on a slight hill, could this have affected it?

There something just not adding up!

how long did you wait before checking the dip stick after the car had been running?
because if it was straight after it had been turned off then the oil would've been around the engine rather than in the sump.

thats the only reason i can think of for it being low

Or how about the oil pick up pipe was clogged preventing the oil going back into the sump?

I know a lad who's engine seized because of the clogging so Id definitely get it sorted before driving anywhere.