change fluid when doing disks & pads

Paradox1

Reaction score
Ordered some rear disks and pads as mine need changing. Do I need to change the fluid as well or bleed the brakes?

You shouldn't need to bleed the brakes but you will need to beg, steal or borrow a piston windy in tool as the rear pistons need winding in... be prepared to take some fluid out of the reservoir too as the level will raise as you wind them in...

Fluid should be changed every 2 years anyway so if you haven't already then do it anyway...

<tuffty/>

Tuffty, my engine guru, thanks.

I'm preety sure I cam hand the disks and pads change. I want to bleed the brakes tbh as I have just got some motul rbf. Haven't had a look at the master cylinder yer but I know this needs bleeding last. Is it straight forward to do?

Its never going to hurt to change the brake fluid. Especially if you drive the car hard. Or if you just don't know when the last time it was done was. I've done some changes where the stuff thats come out has been horrific. Your half way there and brake fluid isn't expensive so why not?

Yeah your right mate, will have a look at the m/s and work.it out. Cheers

My advice is go change your fluid. Especially if you don't know when it was done last.

This is what I found inside my motorbike when I bought it. (and that's diluted with some clean fluid too)

There was no mention of a brake fluid change on my bike in the service book and it was 5 years old when I got it.

Liam

6980111196_bf38e5b57b.jpg

Wow thats some nasty stuff. ok you've beaten me into submission, i'll do it

cheers lads