AH FabricationsChris Nott
    6th gear @7000rpm

Status

S3 juddering on full throttle

Hi guys, quick help!! My s3 is juddering on full throttle only? It's fine on idle and coilpacks seem ok, just on full throttle? I've got a spare set of tfsi coils at home I'll try but I don't actually know what it is? Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Fault codes and logging tbh mate... could be coil packs but could also be something unrelated little to vague to make a diagnosis...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    Hi guys, quick help!! My s3 is juddering on full throttle only? It's fine on idle and coilpacks seem ok, just on full throttle? I've got a spare set of tfsi coils at home I'll try but I don't actually know what it is? Any help?
    how do you judge coilpacks are ok?

under load is where they expire generally... then recover when there's less cylinder pressure
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    I would say coilpacks dude!!

Mine was like this for ages and I didnt think it was the coilpacks as the car had been in for the recall, I finally got a fault code, swapped the coil and wahey we are back in action

Can you get it scanned at all?

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Fault codes and logging tbh mate... could be coil packs but could also be something unrelated little to vague to make a diagnosis...

< tuffty/>
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    how do you judge coilpacks are ok?

under load is where they expire generally... then recover when there's less cylinder pressure
    Thanks for that bill, i thought they were either working or not!

I've bought some new plugs as i thought they might be plugs too. GSF only had NGK Platinum plugs so i had to make do with them. Had my TFSI coils hanging about but i had no adaptors as my dads gonna be so busy in the next few weeks he has no time to make them so I had to improvise! The N249 bracket holds down the two on the right hand side but the two on the left i just made an ECS lookalike from a piece of metal i had to keep them pushed down. They wont push up now but the heat from the bay im scared it might melt it so i just put some heatsheilding under the metal bodge job to keep it from melting... and HEY PRESTO NO JUDDERING!!

The coilpacks i had were 2 hitachi ones and 2 beru ones so some1 has changed them before. I had to borrow one from S3 Rav a few months back as one of them went but didnt realise the other 2 were beru! Thanks to Tufty as he did mention last time that they were more likely to go! Car seems alot more smoother now and will just keep an eye on it to make sure it stays ok! I didnt want this eating into my B5 TIP fund lol! I would get them scanned but last time my coilpack went there was no fault code and no engine management light so i think the pre-factlift doesnt tell misfires!!

Unfortunately i cant log as i have no VCDS (something im saving up for)

Quote Originally Posted by Nilz View Post
    I would say coilpacks dude!!

Mine was like this for ages and I didnt think it was the coilpacks as the car had been in for the recall, I finally got a fault code, swapped the coil and wahey we are back in action

Can you get it scanned at all?
    I read your thread nilzy and it worked Got no VCDS so i cant log or check for faults boo! If anyone has one around cov/mids then i would travel to see if any show up just incase!!

Many thanks guys, really appriciate your help!

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Oh btw, Just went for a quick spin and Just did a Type R (ate it alive) and scoooooby spitting flames! The scooby was funny, he was spitting flames, dumping etc and thought the little s3 wouldnt do much until i was right up his arse and overtook on the straight! HA! HA EAT THAT SCOOBY SNACK! - Sorry had to let it out

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Thought you broke it for a minute there Gops, look after it man!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Status
    Unfortunately i cant log as i have no VCDS (something im saving up for)
    I read your thread nilzy and it worked Got no VCDS so i cant log or check for faults boo! If anyone has one around cov/mids then i would travel to see if any show up just incase!!
    I have vagcom

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Joker!!!

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Lol noo I Havnt broke it! Love it too much man!!

Ah cheers Jason! One of my mates just offered for me to use his but many thanks!

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    GSF only had NGK Platinum plugs so i had to make do with them.
    Why did you 'have to make do with them'?

NGK plugs are the best plugs on the Market! I don't use anything else. Bosch are ****e, and according to a mate who is a vag technician it's Bosch plugs that cause the vast majority of coil pack failures due to high resistance from the spark plugs.
    B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport

Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Oh because I was after the iridium ones that tuffty recommended. Unfortunately they don't stock the ngk iridium ones but only the platinum ones which tbh are fine! I'll get the iridium ones on my next service! I didn't get bosch ones as I've been warned against them!

Status
    Ah cheers Jason! One of my mates just offered for me to use his but many thanks!
    Eh! I wasn't offering for to use it,I was just saying I have it

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Oh because I was after the iridium ones that tuffty recommended. Unfortunately they don't stock the ngk iridium ones but only the platinum ones which tbh are fine! I'll get the iridium ones on my next service! I didn't get bosch ones as I've been warned against them!
    Oh I see! My bad, I thought you were just saying you didn't like to use NGK's. I've used iridium plugs in the past, but only on the force induced honda's I've owned, and that was purely just to keep the temps down as they are naturally a high compression engine. Any real benefits on an s3? Or is it only worth it if your running a hybrid or something?
    B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport

Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

1st Gear

Status
    I'm having the same problem, in my 2000 APY, no fault codes... Can the misfire be seen in the measuring blocks area???
    Talking about the 800hp by 0-400 S3 : "Is it true that everytime you take this car down the strip, the earths rotation slows by 0.1 % ??"

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    That's something maybe tuffty can answer. Of course my problem was the coils.. You had yours changed recently?

1st Gear

Status
    That's something maybe tuffty can answer. Of course my problem was the coils.. You had yours changed recently?
    No, they seem to be old and the car has 168.000 km... Tonight I'll try some new plug and let's see what happens
    Talking about the 800hp by 0-400 S3 : "Is it true that everytime you take this car down the strip, the earths rotation slows by 0.1 % ??"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedrosousa View Post
    I'm having the same problem, in my 2000 APY, no fault codes... Can the misfire be seen in the measuring blocks area???
    If I recall correctly 15 and 16 measuring blocks