WIPERS PACKED IN TODAY & YES IT WAS RAINING AT THE TIME

I

imported_veccyj

Got in the car after a twelve hour night shift at 6am, slightly drizzling so i puts on the trusty wipers and guess what? They managed to get themselves (very slowly) to a verticle position and just died! I pulled over (under a tree) gave them a waggle but they were'nt havin it, they are trying because they move ever so slightly now and again! Today i took off the wipers and soaked the linkages in wd40, they then sprang to life but only for a few seconds before dying again??? Anyone got any idea's???

I had to completely strip my wiper mech last month due to this same problem.

The reason this happens is because the rubber o ring at the top of each spindle lets water in over time.

To fix you need to remove the complete mech and strip it down (actually very easy to do).

You then need to lightly sand the spindles and coat them in copper grease.

Reassemble and fit to the car and they will be as good as new again.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, now all i need is a day off before it rains again!!!!!!!!

...or buy some rain-x! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
...or buy some rain-x! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

........Or move abroad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

Mine did this, ended up having to replace the motor mechanism and now its perfect....£20 and an hours work and job done!

The passenger side mechanism on mine has seized up... Drove back from GTi International in the rain with no wipers. Had the screen waxed before we left so the water ran off...not fun though. Until i can get it sorted, i removed the carm to the passenger side mechanism (the link arm) so i have a drivers side wiper but ont passenger.

RIch

I used a small pulley to remove the stem.

You could re thread it with a needle file or a tap and die but its probaby going to be easier to get a new one.

Doh!

this really shocks me, I thought this problem was only happening on new 8P A3s as on the topgear website there are loads of complaints on brand new A3s with the same problem... oh german build quality is just soooooo good!

Its not the same problem with the new A3s.

It is the wiper controller that dies on them. On older A3s its due to the wiper mech seizing.

But, yes, whatever way to look at it, you don't expect this type of prob from an Audi.

As far as I know, yes it has been sorted. They've changed loads of things from the controller to the actual shape of the arms.

I guess it depends on the age of the vehicle as to whether they have the new parts on or not.

SORTED....Got a mate at work to rethread the spindle, sanded and greased it, refitted and wow, i never knew the wipers were so fast, they must have been struggling ever since i bought it.

Cheers chaps

Another 40 quid saved!!!!!

Mine died on Saturday morning, they were OK Friday night when I picked the car up. Cost me £44 at my local independants.