8L S3 Stage 1 problem

Brodster

Reaction score
Website
www.brotek.co.uk
Hi guys. Dont usually post on the 8L forum but have been given a little problem to solve with my mates 8L S3. What I can deduce from txts from him is that he reckons he has what he might call end wear on the turbo. Now I know you get end float if the bearings are worn or have been displaced so are there any common problems with the 225 BAM engine in the S3 with regards to the turbo.

It is Stage 1 remapped and he wants it to go to Stage 2 IF he can but Im not prepared to do the mods if the engine is gonna detonate.
Any ideas. Sorry for the vagueness but thats all I know at the moment.

does it burn oil? blue smoke, frequently topping up, excessive oil in boost system etc

tell him to take the intake pipe off and check the play in his turbo, wiggle the turbo in and out. excessive in/out play is bad. a tiny bit of side to side is normal (journal bearing).

i suppose i should have started with, what makes him suspect his turbo is goosed?

Hi guys. Dont usually post on the 8L forum but have been given a little problem to solve with my mates 8L S3. What I can deduce from txts from him is that he reckons he has what he might call end wear on the turbo. Now I know you get end float if the bearings are worn or have been displaced so are there any common problems with the 225 BAM engine in the S3 with regards to the turbo.

It is Stage 1 remapped and he wants it to go to Stage 2 IF he can but Im not prepared to do the mods if the engine is gonna detonate.
Any ideas. Sorry for the vagueness but thats all I know at the moment.

Can you be any more vague?

Well IF I had the info at the time it would of been posted. Got more info now though. The car has been booked into an independant dealer and they have found "play in end float on thrust bearing". The warranty company want the turbo removed and sent to Turbo Technics for invest at my mates expense. If classed as normal wear and tear then all his expense even to change the turbo.

Question is.....is it going to be worthwhile changing the turbo to keep the costs down. Any gen would be great or if anyone knows where to get a turbo from with a good price then let me know.

The turbo has now been changed. It turns out it had 2mm end float on the thrust bearing so was leaking oil through the gap. He's given me the old turbo but I really have no need for it. Was gonna clean it up and use it as a book end but too much hassle. Anyone want it or is IT best to punt it on ebay IF worth anything or just bin it.

Last edited: