flashing glow plug light

madmark

Reaction score
hi i have a a3 tdi sport 110bhp when i started it it misfired then loads of blue smoke and a flashing glow plug light ive replaced the glow plugs and it seems to be running fine glow plug light comes on as normal with ignition then goes out as normal i start the car and it runs fine after about 30 seconds the glow plug light starts to flash car still running fine anyone have any idears what to try thank you mark

Hi, usually a faulty brake pedal switch will cause the glow plug light to flash, scanning with vcds would confirm it

Flashing "glow plug" light does not necessarily mean a glow plug/circuit fault,they come on as said above for brake light switch or all bulbs off,or for injector faults etc.... you need to have it scanned for fault codes or you will be guessing.

Have you scanned the car? I have just read that brake lights being out can cause the GP light to flash. I wasn't aware of that, I have only had a message on the DIS when a bulb is out.

Hi, I had this problem on my A3 110tdi, it turned out to be a bad conection with the OSR brake light, do you still have the old / origanal clocks in?
As this could also be a warning light for the clocks on the way out, mine caused me loads of problems to the point where the car would not even start.
I know its annoying but the guys are right it needs going on vag-com really.