Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2nd Gear

Status

MrTackalakalaka's very SLOW S3 Progress Thread

Thought i would do a progress thread for my car with what I have done so far. Will update as i go along.

Some photos were taken on my phone so apologies for the quality.

To Do List:

- Power Run (I was told when I bought it that it was 275 bhp.......I used to own a Fiat Coupe 20v which was 270bhp and I can't tell much difference except grip)
    - AP Coilovers
    - Milltek Catback Exhaust (non resonated)
    - Silicone Hoses
    - Re-spray........got a lof of scratches and swirls in it. Not sure what colour yet.
    - Window Tints

The progress........

When I bought the car......

New Wheels....... 18" Rota Grids

The Rear wheels sat in a bit too far so i got some spacers......

Before....

After.....

Just needs to be lowered a bit now!!!!

Cluster Display was faulty and had loads of lines through it.......

Before.....

After........

I sent my cluster display off to BBA-reman and they repaired, the LCD screen, fault with my temp gauge, fault with my fuel gauge and my rev counter for £185 including postage.

Brakes......

The car had some horrible dotted and grooved discs on it that had warped and made loads of noise even when I wasn't braking. They had to go!! Went back to standard discs and mintex pads.

Before....

After......

Now it just needed a clean......

My two favourite toys!

Thats it for now

2. # ADS
    ADS

Down under

Status
    Nice! Is the cluster easy enough to remove? Looks like it'd be a right pain? Mine are starting to go now and then. I get the odd flicker.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    yeah same here how did you end up removing it mate ? easy enough ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah its not bad at all......bit fiddly but it comes out in the end. Best to use a long flathead screwdriver as its quite hard with your hands!

- Disconnect the battery
    - Pull the steering wheel out as far as it will come and down as far as it will go.
    - Behind the steering column there is a little bit of plastic that just pops off
    - You will then see 2 x torx screws. These are a pig as they are tight but give it some beans and they will come off eventually.
    - Then just wiggle the cluster out as far is it'll come without the cables being pulled too much
    - Then use the screw driver to disconnect the 3 connections (there is a little flap on each connector that the screwdriver can be used to lift up)
    - The connectors are pretty stiff but give them a good wiggle and they will come off.

NOTE: DO NOT TURN IGNITION ON AFTER THE CLUSTER HAS BEEN REMOVED

Check this video out, it really helped me when i came to do mine. don't worry about removing the plastic cowling as he says to do. just pop the plastic off and as long as your steering wheel is as far out as it will go it'll be no problem.

Instrument cluster removal - Audi A4 S4 A6 - YouTube

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTackalakalaka View Post
    Yeah its not bad at all......bit fiddly but it comes out in the end. Best to use a long flathead screwdriver as its quite hard with your hands!

- Disconnect the battery
    - Pull the steering wheel out as far as it will come and down as far as it will go.
    - Behind the steering column there is a little bit of plastic that just pops off
    - You will then see 2 x torx screws. These are a pig as they are tight but give it some beans and they will come off eventually.
    - Then just wiggle the cluster out as far is it'll come without the cables being pulled too much
    - Then use the screw driver to disconnect the 3 connections (there is a little flap on each connector that the screwdriver can be used to lift up)
    - The connectors are pretty stiff but give them a good wiggle and they will come off.

NOTE: DO NOT TURN IGNITION ON AFTER THE CLUSTER HAS BEEN REMOVED

Check this video out, it really helped me when i came to do mine. don't worry about removing the plastic cowling as he says to do. just pop the plastic off and as long as your steering wheel is as far out as it will go it'll be no problem.

Instrument cluster removal - Audi A4 S4 A6 - YouTube
    awesome mate seriously thats great help, if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the display... to replace mate

Down under

Status
    Read the first post dude

I sent my cluster display off to BBA-reman and they repaired, the LCD screen, fault with my temp gauge, fault with my fuel gauge and my rev counter for £185 including postage.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

4th Gear

Status
    Nice colour! Definately the best
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

1st Gear

Status
    how long did the cluster take to come back? and what problems with fuel and coolant were they? as im thinking of having mine done as i also have problems

K4OXE

Status
    where did ya get the rota's from? and if ya dont mind me asking how much?

2nd Gear

Status
    Sent it off on the Monday and it was her on the Thursday. Basically they do tests on it and if they are faulty they completely replace/rebuild the faulty part.

I got them from rimstyle......with tyres and all fitments and accessories they were £1000

2nd Gear

Status
    A month after i ordered it, my Green air filter finally turned up! I fitted it yesterday and love the change in throttle response! I shall be smoothing out my Airbox soon as well!

2nd Gear

Status
    Today my Coilovers and Rear Tie Arms came through the post! Thankyou to Graeme at GNJ Motorsport for helping me with choosing these parts! A Big help!!!!

So here you go:
    Weitec Hicon TX Coilovers
    KW Adjustable Rear Tie Arms

Pics to follow soon!!
    Last edited by MrTackalakalaka; 25th June 2012 at 16:37.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ive just had my Coilovers and Adjustable tie arms fitted. It still needs to go lower, i can't really see any difference!! The back is as far down as it will go but ill take the adjuster out. The front still has plenty of thread. I want the gap between the tyre and the arch to be minimal. At the moment i can still fit my hand in between. Also have had the Stat replaced and all the bushes replaced.

Before

After

This is how low i want mine......

Obviously the picture is not mine

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    I can see a difference in the ride height and infact looks similar to my car as i run AP shocks n springs. But if you want that slammed look you are gonna have to keep playing.

Did you fit the polybushes? and did you do all of them or just a few as after doing mine earlier this week my car now feels awesome to drive i have loads more confidence in its ability to go round corners.

Also just on a side note i went and got my car fully realligned yesterdauy cos after my busehes were fitted all of the bits were tightened up but of course now in different places so me toe was well out at the rear and a bit out on the front. Also had my camber adjusted so its not so aggresive on tyres. So if you didnt get this done i reccomend getting it done asap.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

2nd Gear

Status
    Hello mate

Nah didn't have that done yday. Im adjusting it all tomorrow and then taking it to be aligned properly. Fingers crossed will have it sitting nicely! then can upload more photos

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Cool am sure you will be pleased with the results.

Look forward to the piccies
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

6th Gear

Status
    Keep it at the level it is now and just wait a week or two until it fully settles and go from there. Otherwise you`ll drop it massive low and then it`ll settle and drive like sh*t and then we`ll have post in a few weeks saying you smashed your sump lol.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

5th Gear

Status
    I wouldn't have it aligned for a few weeks to be honest, you'll be surprised how much it settles. Mine settled about 20-30mm since fitting over 3 to 4 weeks. You'll probably find if you have it aligned now it will be out of alignment within a few weeks. Personally i think the back will be spot on once settled.

3rd Gear

Status
    Looks good mate. Leave it a couple of weeks to settle before alignment. Then adjust the front to how you want it before alignment. The rear will come down quite a bit.

Shark Performance Lancashire Dealer

2nd Gear

Status
    So here is how my car is sitting!!

So happy with it!!
    Thanks again to

Graeme at GNJ Motorsport for supplying me with the parts
    RK Engineering for setting it up for me
    and
    Gary and Wendy at Wheels Direct for making the final adjustments. Gary will adjust my car again if needed when it settles in but he is confident that when it settles in it'll be just right!!

5th Gear

Status
    Perfect

1st Gear

Status
    How do the Weitecs feel? looking at coil overs myself but can't decide whether to go for pa's, kw v1s or maybe weitecs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpd89 View Post
    How do the Weitecs feel? looking at coil overs myself but can't decide whether to go for pa's, kw v1s or maybe weitecs.
    I'd go for these Weitecs out of those 3. Worth the extra for adjustable damping. PM me if you want some prices

Shark Performance Lancashire Dealer

1st Gear

Status
    Are the weitecs stainless? How would they hold up in the occasional track day aswell? Does look nice and low!

2nd Gear

Status
    Really enjoying the Weitecs, I've got mine a tad firmer than standard shocks and the handles really well. The Weitecs are made my KW so are really good quality!
    Definitely speak to Graeme some more (GNJ) he really helped me make my decision and I'm over the moon with my coilovers!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Seriously, Fullrun tyres?!

Surely its completely pointless spending all that money on suspension etc when you've attached your car to the ground with those...

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    Nice car, and good set of mods.
    I always think black wheels make the tyres look dirty, get some shine on them shoes.
    2007 - Imola Yellow- Audi S3 - 305
    [8L BLOG] [8P BLOG]

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Seriously, Fullrun tyres?!

Surely its completely pointless spending all that money on suspension etc when you've attached your car to the ground with those...
    Its ok Aragorn don't cry!

I get on fine with Fullrun tyres. They are plenty good enough for what i need!! The only thing i don't like about them is the noise. But who cares unless you're REAALLY that anal about things.......

I might upgrade my tyres when these go. I bought them because i didn't quite have enough when i ordered my wheels. Fullrun tyres aren't that bad though!!

2nd Gear

Status
    So here is how my car is sitting!!

So happy with it!!
    Thanks again to

Graeme at GNJ Motorsport for supplying me with the parts
    RK Engineering for setting it up for me
    and
    Gary and Wendy at Wheels Direct for making the final adjustments. Gary will adjust my car again if needed when it settles in but he is confident that when it settles in it'll be just right!!
    Looks great! Really is shaping up nicely this car!

I really need to put some time aside to get some photos of mine up, and do my progress blog! I think you'd really like my setup...

9.5J Rota Grid Drifts all round, lowered about 65mm. Fellow Rota friend!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD S3 View Post
    Looks great! Really is shaping up nicely this car!

I really need to put some time aside to get some photos of mine up, and do my progress blog! I think you'd really like my setup...

9.5J Rota Grid Drifts all round, lowered about 65mm. Fellow Rota friend!

Awesome!! yeah, please get some photos up, id love to see it!! Wish i went for 9.5s but 8.5s will do for now!! Did u need spacers at all?

2nd Gear

Status
    Awesome!! yeah, please get some photos up, id love to see it!! Wish i went for 9.5s but 8.5s will do for now!! Did u need spacers at all?
    I will do as soon as I can, just so busy at the moment with work, and been doing so much work on the car it hasn't been clean enough for any photos!

Well thanks to a contact of mine at RareRims, I managed to get hold of 9.5J wheels with an ET23 offset. I'm running 5mm spacers on the front to clear the struts, and 15mm on the back to go nice and wide!

2nd Gear

Status
    Finally got a chance to get some photos up, as requested! Apologies for the delay!

Hope you like...

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Those wheels are stunning mate, one of my fav for sure.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Those wheels are stunning mate, one of my fav for sure.
    Not sure if you mean Mr. Tacka's or mine, but they're both pretty sweet! Cheers!

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh.....my golly gosh!!

Your car is sexy!! I am very jealous and wish i went for the 9.5s! Looks absolutely stunning!! bet you are pleased with it?

If i ever sell my number plate i think i may get some 9.5s for "summer wheels" haha

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh.....my golly gosh!!

Your car is sexy!! I am very jealous and wish i went for the 9.5s! Looks absolutely stunning!! bet you are pleased with it?

If i ever sell my number plate i think i may get some 9.5s for "summer wheels" haha
    Thanks man! Appreciated!

It gets looks everywhere, it just looks unique more than anything!

Keep up the good work with your motor though, really starting to look fresh!

2nd Gear

Status
    Just put my winter wheels on

I am liking them quite a lot!

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I've got to be honest man, I think it looks better on the originals and those winters than teh Rotas. The rotas need to be 9.5's like ADJ's to look right!.

Lovely clean looking car though
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status
    I do love the Rotas but your right, i should have got the 9.5j's. Might have to sell the 8.5s and get some 9.5s.

2nd Gear

Status
    Did a bit of DIY repair on a wheel arch today, rust was starting to come through so me and a friend put it right

Grinded back to metal and treated it

Arch repaired and stopper applied

primer on

Paint on......just needs flatting back and polishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast