FMIC setup A3 8L correct or not?

Jay A3

#because Racecar
Reaction score
Looking for advice as per the title

I have looked through a fair few FMIC threads and most refer to those who buy FMIC kits like forge and ebay ones...
I wanted to buy the toyosport intercooler rather than the larger ones like AH fab (bit overkill as my power would not require large cores) which meant i needed to buy my own pipes. I didnt want to buy those intercooler pipe kits ebay sell as i wanted the silicone hoses to be 4 ply silicone hoses. Adapted from the list Prawn posted up a while ago in the FMIC thread.

Im a complete noob when it comes to fitting this in so I have drawn this up to try and show you how i plan to fit this in.

What i also noticed is the little mention of the pipework for the DV & N75; and how welding might be required in some instances.

Can anyone confirm i have everything covered, do i need more pipes or re-arrange any pipes?

Planned setup
FMIClayoutcopy-1.jpg

Hotside
Hotsidefmiclayout-1.jpg

Welding
weldinglayout-1.jpg

Advice appreciated!

Reactions: Markeyboy and deeman88
Looks correct apart from the top hose goes down instead of to the left. It needsgo down behind the engine onto the turbo. Haven't got a pic atm but ill get one for you tomorrow

Cheers Paradox

I have re-adjusted the pipe work. I still got the photo of your setup just never seen one mocked up before fitting

Like this?
hotsidev2.jpg

Bingo! Looks spot on Jay.

POn;y thing you might find is that you could need to trim the first pipe down off the turbo as it'll sit fairly high. apart from that it all looks good.

Also, you're best off welding the DV and N75 ports onto the first pipe rather than the 45. Keeps everything in a more stock location :)

DV is the 25mm one btw.

Should be good once on :) I knocked up my pipework like that in the house too!

You will probably struggle to find an 8mm alloy barbed bit for n75, all the ones I could find where steel or brass and ended up turning my own ;)

Thanks prawn

So weld the n75 and dv into the first 90 degree alloy bend (which I will also need to shorten due to the height of the turbo)
I will redo the diagram.

Sorry Stacey what do you mean barbed bit?
Is that little joiner I got not right? Its made out of (Zinc plated mild steel / zinc alloy materia)

Apart from giving me an *** whipping... Any suggestions?? Lol

Jay i think ive got a alloy hose for the N75 if you need it? I used that chemical metal stuff that prawn used on his and it works a treat.

Gutted I just bought 2 new aluminium pipes. Thanks paradox..
What chemical metal stuff? What did you use it for mate ?

I drilled a hole in the pipe coming off the turbo. think around 6mm, and put the N75 pipe in there then use4d the chemical metal to create a seat. I got mine of e-bay for about 4 quid. does the job and doesnt leak. check on e-bay for chemical metal or putty

So no welding required? Or is it used after the welding acting as an air tight sealant?
I will have a look later on eBay

No welding at all bud. Basically drill a whole in the pipe, make sure its big enoughbfor the 6mm tip to fit in bit obviously not too big. The chemical metal feels like blue tack until its hardens. Look at the pix you took of my car

If i cant weld the pipes i will go down the alternative and use the epoxy stuff

Would something like this be perfect?

JB Weld adhesive

Spot on bro, its easier use the jb weld as you can do it there and then, no need to get it welded etc

so the DV and N75 comes off the first metal pipe after the turbo, so on my k04 it goes silicon joiner off the turbo to the first metal bend, its this metal bend that the DV and N75 go in?

on your ko4 setup if you're following my guide mate, you'll have a silicon 90 off the turbo then to an alloy 45 degree bend, weld your DV and N75 take off onto the side of the alloy 45 :)

so the DV and N75 comes off the first metal pipe after the turbo, so on my k04 it goes silicon joiner off the turbo to the first metal bend, its this metal bend that the DV and N75 go in?

i bought one of these : BOOST GAUGE QUICK TAP FOR ANY CAR KKK K04 KO3S GARRETT | eBay.

and just put it in the silicone coming off the turbo, they were not a tenner when i bough one though, maybe you can get one for cheaper. it doesn't leak so its all good.

as for the dv it goes on the first metal piece like you are saying, unless you have a dv cold side relocation.

yes i was looking at a quick tap and cold side relocation to simplify things.

i also wanted the smaller cooler as im only running a k03 AGU.

i just didnt want the car being off the road waiting for different pipes to arrive

Hi Jay,

How did you get on with this install? im looking at doing one on mine and i have seen your car in my area. can we arrange to meet up so i can take a look.

Thanks

did you ever get this up and running my friend?
All up and running, (completely forgot to update this this thread) Sorry...

The hotside was easy enough to install, i am still tweaking it till this day to fit it perfectly (might be my OCD kicking in)
I think i had ordered an extra 45 Degree ali which i didnt need in the end but i rather has spare than not enough. :thumbsup:

As for the cold side, i had followed prawns FMIC guide, the only thing i changed was the 90 degree ali that joins onto the OEM pipe that goes into the Throttle body. I used a 135 degree ali pipe instead so it would hug in as close as possible. If i was to redo it again, i probably would buy the DV relocation kit as the Turbo / N75 area can get a little bit tight.

Hi Jay,

How did you get on with this install? im looking at doing one on mine and i have seen your car in my area. can we arrange to meet up so i can take a look.

Thanks

Any time fella, just pm me

on your ko4 setup if you're following my guide mate, you'll have a silicon 90 off the turbo then to an alloy 45 degree bend, weld your DV and N75 take off onto the side of the alloy 45 :)

sorry mate yes i am following your guide, still waiting on my pipes :( so i cant mock it together to get it clear in my head atm