Coil Pack Recall - Query??

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
I had my car in for the coil pack recall a while ago, however they only replaced one of them saying the others were all ok - BUT - I have been having serious power problems recently, but we put it down to various issues, TIP ripped, squidgy pipes, possible boost leak too, however we have covered most of that and I did not get any fault codes or the EML light up either.

The other day though I finally got a fault code come up, (misfire on Cylinder 2), so I replaced the coilpack with a spare and the car seems to be running better now, I totally dismissed this being the root of my loosing power probs, as I thought they would be ok after the recall, but I guess not!!

I rang Audi yesterday and they said they would have the car in with the faulty coil pack and see if they can do anything with it, what do you think i should do, as im not overly happy about leaving the car with them for half a day.

The one that I took out ended in R and the one I replaced it with had an R as well, I will check later what the others are in the car, but im pretty sure they are all R enders as well, they are all genuine ones from Audi, the only difference is the ones I have are black, but the one that they replaced is like a gloss grey colour.

Any tips or advise much appreciated, also has anyone else had issues with their coil packs since they have been in for the recall?

Cheers
Nilz

Alright bud, I'm in the same boat well kind of. I have no coil issues but am also reluctant to leave my car with Audi for half a day just for them to tell me the coils are fine and non existent issues need to be repaired for £££...

I picked up four brand new ones in 2009 and the part numbers ended in R, I thought the new revised ones were red tops or am I mistaken?

The revised ones I got the other day end in 'D' and according to the parts guy that is the latest revision.

It depends what engine number u have got for what coil is fitted. The recall takes 20 mins max, when u ring up quote your chassis number starting with WAUZZZ and they can tell u if your car is due the recall over the phone. If it is then book it in as a "waiting job" then u won't have to leave it all day

Hi Nilz. I had all 4 replaced about a year ago under the recall, no questions asked. The car was so clean when I dropped it off that I had all the sales guys gauping at it in the car park. Made me smile. Even more so getting 4 free new coils! If I were you I'd make the most of it and get 'em all done. Don't get much for free these days!

Guys the thing is, i have already had the car in for the coilpack recall and they only replaced one as they said the others were all ok. So do i go back and ask them to check again, as I dont want to be forking out for coilpacks when I shouldnt have to....im thinking I will do as I dont need the hassle or expense.

I think you should demand to have all the others that they didn't replace replaced! Tell them that the likelyhood is that if one of the ones that they didn't replace has failed then surely the others will shortly be following, so to save future hassle for both parties they should just change them all and close the case. Just my 2p's.....

When I took mine in for the recall they only replaced one, when I took it up with management (as they were all the same part number so I dont know why they didnt replace them all) the guy just said they only replaced one due to it being faulty..

I also mentioned that the the coil pack wiring loom had been damaged and there were wires split that weren't before, he replied saying that its down to age and not their fault...

To be totally honest, I really dont trust Audi, and made a point of calling their lead technician a monkey due to them f*cking up bleeding my brakes at the same time, I was so close to writing a letter to head office but ended up with a case of CBA.

Although, if i was you, if you can get the three coil packs replaced for free, go for it.

When I had my recall done I had all four done. As that was the recall. To replace four coils. None of them were faulty I don't think. Didn't have any issues with them before anyway.

Thats what I was lead to believe, and in total honesty, i didnt think any of them were 'faulty' but just wanted 4 new and 'FREE' coil packs.. but audi dont like doing what they say they are going to do.. well audi stealers that is

Right got the car booked in on Wednesday morning, so lets see what they say, the guy on the phone was very understanding and helpful, so hopefully they will be able to sort it for me....

Will update accordingly.

OK so I went in this morning and they didnt change them as they said that they are already the revised ones (the ones ending in R), however whilst I was in there he did mention that they come with a 2 year warranty, so if they fail before that they can exchange, so Im going to go and dig out the reciept and see if they will swap them, as im sure I have not had them for 2 years!!

So have you had the coils replaced before then Nilz? I definitely had all 4 done on mine under the recall (2003) and none were faulty at the time.

Well what happened was my coil packs went one by one, so I replaced them and must have already had the D version on the car, mixed with the R version, now they are stating that the R version or the D version are not on the recall as they are already the revised and 'OK' ones.

I did have the car in for the recall previously and they said that they only changed one, as all of the others were ok and not showing the part number of any of the faulty ones on the recall....I left it at that.

However, now, I have had one of the R ones go faulty, but when I went in this morning they said they wouldnt change it, as its an OK part, he did say that they would change it under warranty if they could prove it was faulty and I had the receipt as they come with a 2yr warranty.

I came home and checked and the last 2 I got from Audi were the D ones, which are ok, but the one that is faulty was from the RAC when they came out to replace one as it must have gone at the side of the road, so as its not from Audi, I dont think they will honour this.

I may call the RAC and see if they can do anything on this for me....I know its only £35, however its the principle of it, if its not a faulty part, why is mine faulty??

Hi is this recall for all S3s as i have a 99 S3 and Audi doesnt seem to know about a recall thanx!

I never even knew about the coil pack recall and when I gave the car a good service back in 2010 I bought a full set of Coil Packs direct from EuroCarParts (had to admit I wasn;t sure if they were definitely correct) but I haven;t had any issues what so ever with them and they have worked fine since!