anyone who knows about gear boxes please

Dan s3 audi

Reaction score
To start with yesterday i started the challange of changing my dual mass fly wheel on my own (huge mistake). had to drop the whole sub frame because my transfer box would not come all the way off due to a stupid large bore exhuast getting in the way, which i chould not take apart. so my car is in my garage in pieces not sure if i can put it all back together.
Anyway more to the point, noticed a weap of oil from the spline in the gear box that conects to the clutch. Now do i need to crack the gear box open to change this seal or can i pick it out and push a new one in?????

Thanks

Almost certainly hydraulic fluid from the slave cylinder/bearing. It's an easy replacement and should really be done when changing the clutch anyway if I remember £30-40.

well i took the slave cylinder off as i have a new replacement and you can see a run of oil from the shaft downwards, it deffently looks and smells like gearbox oil :(

well i took the slave cylinder off as i have a new replacement and you can see a run of oil from the shaft downwards, it deffently looks and smells like gearbox oil :(

Gutted for you. Was hoping it was a the slave as its the easy fix. I think you can buy the seal that's leaking seperately but I have no idea on part number of fitting unfortunately.

If it's gearbox oil leaking through the input shaft seal you will definitely need to replace it as when you put it all back together the oil coming through will contaminate the clutch and you will get massive slipping, and a ruined clutch! Not good.
I would have never attempted to remove the gearbox without having a ramp, not worth the hassle. Well worth paying a few hours labour to a garage for this job!

If it's gearbox oil leaking through the input shaft seal you will definitely need to replace it as when you put it all back together the oil coming through will contaminate the clutch and you will get massive slipping, and a ruined clutch! Not good.
I would have never attempted to remove the gearbox without having a ramp, not worth the hassle. Well worth paying a few hours labour to a garage for this job!

Meh, talk about kick a man when he's down. Discouraging people from doing their own work is just fanny talk.

I say respect to the bloke for taking on such a daunting job. Gearbox out takes balls.

Not everyone has the £200 in labour it would cost. (If your even lucky to find someone to do it for that).

Dan, you will need ETKA, with your gearbox code to find the specific part, if it is just the input shaft seal, dont know if it is a box split job, but if it is splitting the O2M is as easy as it gets, all the output shafts need lifting out at the same time, so you will need an extra pair of hands, no special gear pullers required or anything.

Good luck

well i got it sorted :) picked it out with a electrical flat head screw driver and knocked the new seal in with a little oil and a bit of intch half plastic pipe. slipped in without any problems. the funny thing is i have the money to have the garage to do it but i just felt like trying it myself :) not again tho unless i have a engine lift as getting the box on laying under the car was crazy hard. :)

Well i'm sorry if I upset people here, did not mean to "kick you while you were down" but I was just being honest in saying that attempting to remove the gearbox on the floor is hard, very hard. Fair play for doing it though Dan, you have more patience than me!
£200 labour seems a bit steep for what would be 2 maybe 3 hours max time for someone who has the right tools, a ramp and the knowledge having done it a fair few times before!
I've certainly got myself into jobs that i wished i hadn't started before, and in hindsight would much prefer to pay someone else to do!