Revs rise suddenly

I

imported_Gibbsy

Hey got an issue where i'm driving along with the revs at around 2-3k and if i put my foot down the revs will quickly rise by 1Kish and then go down then rise normaly with the speed of the car, almost as if the wheels were spinning then getting grip but this is not happening, this happens usually in gears 2,3,4,5.

I thought it could be the clutch but all the normal tests i have done like the 5th gear test at like 20mph went ok and an engineer tested it a while ago gave it the all clear, could it be the turbo? as it only happens between 2-3k and thats when my turbo spools up.

Any ideas would be appreciated as i dont wanna goto Audi about a hundred times with them blaming differant things each time.

Has no one ever had this problem or heard of it before?

60K miles now happens as i said when i put my foot down in all gears apart from first between 2-3k revs, dont happen all the time tho.
Driving style is normal really dont rag it around all the time but have fun now and then.

U rekon gearbox HTC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

When I say "gearbox off job", I don't mean its the gearbox thats the problem. I just mean that you need to remove the gearbox to get at the the clutch parts to fix them.

Ohhh i see u rekon that will be expensive and what should i tell the engineer i think it is?

I couldn't guess a price as garages vary so much. It will be a few hundred tho. A clutch kit is about £150.

But I guess, just say that the clutch is slipping, so check for oil leaks etc.

Is your car chipped?

No it's not chipped. Would it be worth putting a black diamond clutch or similar on it instead? I do plan on chipping at some point, i also know an Audi tech so he does stuff cheaper for me.

Good reasoning would suggest that if you are replacing the clutch and are planning to up the power, the yes it would be a good idea to go for an uprated item.

There a several options which RichA3Turbo would be able to help you with. Some people do for the MK3 VR6 setup which involves swapping the A3 dual mass flywheel for a single mass item.
Some peeps go for the ECS stage1 which I've heard good things about too.

Deffo consult your Audi friend also as he may be aware of common issues and whether the clutch will need replacing or not.
Take him out for a drive and show him first hand the problem.

Ok cheers i will touch base with him, and Rich see what he recomends.