Forge 008 boost mystery

kaos

Reaction score
Fresh post as last as I went or the forge 008 but now a mystery issue
Right now iam really confused. Yesterday I fitted a forge tip the 008 a big green cotton cone filter and a heat shield. Only did a couple short journeys but. At seemed to run nicer and smoother and went very well boost gauge was showing 19 psi at full chat. After presuming it must be mapped today after a little research on here decided I needed to swap the green spring the 008 came fitted with for the yellow one. Went for a test run and now the boost gauge is only showing 15 psi at full throttle and it doesn't have the mental surge it had before when the pedal is on the metal?? :s​

Is the spring fitted correctly? Sure it's not leaking boost? If you log you'll see requested v actual to see if you're loosing boost.

I don't have the equipment to do data logging if that's what you mean?
And I can't see how the spring could be incorrectly fitted was just 3 grub screws swap spring tighten back up could do it blindfolded with one hand lol. Seems to drive well just doesn't have the crazy surge it did before but to be honest that felt like was overboosting :s stil not 100% if it's mapped or what

Hi mate,

For a start, the green spring in the kit is useless. Even for a standard S3. So throw it away lol if the yellow spring isn't working properly, take it, and the piston out put some red rubber grease on the piston and use the thinnest shim, to make the yellow spring slightly stronger, then check all your hoses and connections for tightness and just check you haven't split any vacuum hoses or anything daft. It sounds silly but it could just be a massive coincidence. Hope you sort it.

Ben

For a start, the green spring in the kit is useless. Even for a standard S3.

Lets just clear the above up.... To say that the green spring is rubbish for a standard S3 just isn't accurate.

Green spring is fine on most S3s and won't cause issues. It's quite a weak spring but is definitely fine for standard boost levels.

This is how the springs break down:

Green - 5-15 PSI

Yellow - 15-23 PSI

Blue - 23-30 PSI

Red - 30 + PSI

So, based on this - direct from the Forge website - Yellow is the colour for most Stage 1 and above S3s. Green will work fine on a stock S3 and a mapped one as well. My stage 1 REVO was run with a green.

I currently use a 007P with Yellow running 1.9 Bar - no problems here.

It should be fine with the yellow spring and that's it. Nothing else to do with it tbh. I had the Forge 007p and changed it from green to yellow spring, ran perfectly peaking at 22.7psi and 270bhp. Check your hoses have been put back on properly and properly tightened, even having a slightly loose jubilee clip can affect it.

Do you have to buy the yellow spring? as i would like to change my green to a yellow in my 007p

I had the Forge 007p and changed it from green to yellow spring, ran perfectly peaking at 22.7psi and 270bhp.

22.7psi sounds suspiciously accurate to me, suggesting you've read that off a liquid guage, in which case it sounds suspiciously identical to the max reading the map sensor can see, which would suggest you were probably boosting higher than that and the sensor was just clamping at 22.7!

22.7psi sounds suspiciously accurate to me, suggesting you've read that off a liquid guage, in which case it sounds suspiciously identical to the max reading the map sensor can see, which would suggest you were probably boosting higher than that and the sensor was just clamping at 22.7!

Love you prawn
Thats exactl what my liquid says
didnt know that ;)

I think the map sensor can read 2550mb, which minus 1000mb atmospheric pressure is 22.785 psi :)