Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By damo.h

Thread: Az's picture heavy thread of my now very very clean Santorin Blue S3

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status

Az's picture heavy thread of my now very very clean Santorin Blue S3

Hi all,

Thought it was about time I shared some photos of my newly acquired S3 after spending a fair whack of money on it and a lot of elbow grease and sweat since purchasing it 5 weeks ago.

Its a 2000 pre-facelift Santorin Blue model but has the facelift front and rear lights, ivory full heated leather with optional extra ivory stitching on the steering wheel, gear gaitor, and handbrake lever.

Mods include:-

- MRC tuning custom remap
    - Sachs organic uprated clutch
    - Milltek 3" turbo down pipe
    - De-cat pipes
    - Milltek cat back resonated system
    - KnN induction kit
    - Forge SplitR
    - Forge silicone TIP
    - Forge silicone boost pipe
    - Brembo GT 323mm 4 pot brake kit with 'J' grooved discs
    - GENUINE BBS CH 18"x8.5" ET30 alloy wheels
    - Genuine mk4 golf aero wiper arms and blades all round
    - Leon Cupra R front splitter

Future mods will be coilovers, adjustable rear tie rods, r32 anti roll bars, full geometry fast road set up, standard airbox and filter is on its way to replace the KnN as I don't ever think vag cars run well with induction kits, spacers for both front and rear wheels or at the least for the rear, matching silicone hoses in the engine bay (possibly to red ones) porsche oil and coolant caps courtesy of Scott's group buy, and thats about it I think.

Since buying it 5 weeks ago I have spent just under £1k on it by getting a brand new genuine Audi fuel pump as it died on me 2 days after buying it! Brand new Falken 912 tyres all round, had the wheels professionally refurbished - acid dipped, shot blasted, and powder coated, brand new discs and pads all round, custom 'J' grooved discs on the front with Mintex pads and Mintex discs and pads on the rear. Also some other odds and sods such as correct wiring harness for the headunit to power up the amp, rear speakers, and sub.

The car was on axle stands for about a week whilst I sorted out the fuel pump, wheels, tyres, and brakes, and once that was all done I started on the hardcore cleaning as I have a bit of OCD when it comes to keeping my cars clean and looking at their best, it was in a pretty poor state when I bought it, well, to my standards anyway! I have literally spent the last 3 weeks with every oppertunity I have had cleaning the car in some way shape or form, to every nook and cranny. i spent a whole day just removing all the tar that was on the bodywork(!) it was that bad!

I don't have any machine polishers or anything and I wouldn't say I'm as hardcore as some when it comes to cleaning but I do try and I only use products that are easily available such as Auto Glym and Meguires. So I started off by using Auto Glym Intensive Tar Remover over every panel to remove the 12 years worth of tar all over it, then once washed and dried off I used Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine for dark paintwork polish, then finally onto Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection wax. The engine bay, door hinge areas, and door shuts etc I used Auto Glym Engine and Machine cleaner. On the interior I use Gliptone leather cleaner, followed by the Gliptone leather conditioner. (Excellent stuff and smells awesome!)

It had window tints on it when I bought it, and I HATE window tints on blue cars, I just don't think it 'goes' so i removed them pretty much straight away, plus I just don't understand why anyone would want to hide that gorgeous ivory white leather interior?!!

Anyway, enough talking, I'll let the pictures do that from now on..........

-

Comments welcome and thanks for reading / looking!

Az
    Last edited by Az; 14th April 2012 at 12:53.
    B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport

Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

2. # ADS
    ADS

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    Looks perfect!... It's not Ming blue though looks more like Azure blue to me pal
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

4th Gear

Status
    Mines the same colour, Santorin blue, loving the way it looks mate, good work!! Wish mine looked that clean
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Looks superb.
    Agree with hoggy, azure or santorini

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for clearing up the colour, I did have my doubts that it was Ming blue cos I owned a facelift Ming blue s3 a few years ago that was obviously definitely a darker blue than this, but I just thought that audi may of changed the shade of it between the pre-facelift and facelift models like BMW did with the colour estoril blue between the e36 and e46 models. I've not heard of either of those colours mentioned though so will have to get my handbooks / service book out to see if it states the actual colour in either of them.

This is actually my 3rd 8L S3, here are some pics of my previous 2, both had subtle mods such as remaps, coilovers, aftermarket alloys, millteks, and the Ming blue had Porsche discs and calipers.......

My first S3 which was the Ming blue, fully loaded with every option -

And my second S3 was a special order Misano red facelift with every option apart from satnav -

Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

DVLA Say it's Black

Status
    Good job looks really well, liking the ivory stitching nice touch. 8p gear knob would finish that nicely.

But misano red on black rims gives me wood
    Az likes this.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Youve been lucky enough to own sime great examples in great colours. Love misano!

oww! my giant blue head!

Status
    loving car number 2, beauty! and your current one is defo santorin blue
    Audi S4 (B5) - JUST ARRIVED :D
    Audi S3 (8L) - GONE
    Audi A3 SE (8L) - GONE

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by damo.h View Post
    Good job looks really well, liking the ivory stitching nice touch. 8p gear knob would finish that nicely.

But misano red on black rims gives me wood
    Lol, thanks for that thought!

Funnily enough that is another item I do want to get to finish off the interior - an 8P S3 gearknob, I was seriously tempted to buy the one that was in the classified section but had other things that were more important to spend the money on, and now it's unfortunately sold.

I miss the Misano more than the Ming, I bought that standard apart from the superchips map that was already on it, fitted the milltek non res cat back system, AP coilovers, KW adjustable rear tie rods, and the team dynamics, had Aps do a full geometry and that thing handled brilliantly on a driving weekend in Wales, and it was raining for the majority of the weekend. It stood out from the crowd being Misano red, made the absolute red look orange!

5th Gear

Status
    Looks good.

Didn't this belong to an old member on here? Sure the lad bought my B8's and HR's off me??

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Cheers Karl, and thanks for clearing that up Muzza!

Ian - I know the previous owner was a member on here but not a regular poster, can't comment on the B8's and H&R's, but if that is true I'm gutted they are no longer on the car! The previous owner lives in Durham if that rings any bells? To be honest it's had a fair few owners and I'm sure the previous owner to who I bought it off of was a member on here, and it is a bit odd that the suspension is standard on it considering the rest of the mods on it..... Unless he bought the suspension set up, never fitted it, and then sold it on??

6th Gear

Status
    ah... yours was the Misano red s3. There was a thread a while back drooling over that car and that colour red

Red S3's

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyra View Post
    Pinched from another forum via a google search 2002 Special order MISANO RED facelift Audi S3, Mods..... - EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum

Quite interesting as my Black car has the same spec as this except it's got the Alcantara seat upgrade!! LOL
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Gorgeous car matey! Looks absolutely mint!!! How did you do the headlight conversion!? One thing I'm dying to do but have no ur how!?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

DVLA Say it's Black

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Lol, thanks for that thought!

Funnily enough that is another item I do want to get to finish off the interior - an 8P S3 gearknob!
    Haha yr welcome dude. Now everytime you look at a pic of the misano you can think of me sporting a stiffy

Yeah the 8p knob deffo gives it a freshen up. Will look great against the ivory stitching.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
    ah... yours was the Misano red s3. There was a thread a while back drooling over that car and that colour red

Red S3's
    Wow, haha! It's amazing the power of the Internet when people are talking about you or your car without you even knowing! Thanks for sharing the link I do really miss the Misano, it used to get loads of comments and it was so eye catching.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status

Red S3's
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    Gorgeous car matey! Looks absolutely mint!!! How did you do the headlight conversion!? One thing I'm dying to do but have no ur how!?
    Thanks mate, sorry I couldn't help you on the headlight swap as it was already done when I bought the car.

1st Gear

Status
    Very nice! BBS LMs are my favorite alloys. I envy you so bad!

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status

Red S3's
    Quote Originally Posted by damo.h View Post
    Haha yr welcome dude. Now everytime you look at a pic of the misano you can think of me sporting a stiffy

Yeah the 8p knob deffo gives it a freshen up. Will look great against the ivory stitching.
    Oh mate you gotta stop this, not the sort of thoughts one wants running through ones head! Lol.

Your right, it would just freshen it up a bit, the one that was in the classifieds already had a gaitor with it which had ivory stitching, gutted I couldn't buy it.

So is the Santorin Blue a pretty rare colour then? I prefer it to my old Ming Blue.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status

Red S3's
    Quote Originally Posted by L33h View Post
    Very nice! BBS LMs are my favorite alloys. I envy you so bad!
    Haha, cheers mate, I love LM's, they did look good on my old Ming Blue S3, but the looked even better on my old A4.........

19"x9.5" all round

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Sweet ride, I'm sure that car belonged to another member on here previously?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

1st Gear

Status
    Ahh yea they really suit the A4! Are they 8j?

I might have to get some for my ming blue A3. Reps tho I wont be able to afford the real 1s haha

I love the CH too btw

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Sweet ride, I'm sure that car belonged to another member on here previously?
    Thanks! Yeah it did, I don't think he was a very active user though.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Ahh yea they really suit the A4! Are they 8j?

I might have to get some for my ming blue A3. Reps tho I wont be able to afford the real 1s haha

I love the CH too btw
    The LM's that were on my S3 were 8.5" and ET35, whilst the ones on my A4 were 9.5" and ET35, they were both replicas as well as I like yourself and most others couldn't afford the £3k+ price tag for a genuine set of LM's! The CH's on my current S3 on the other hand are genuine.

4th Gear

Status
    Lovely car mate I like your style you should come to the next ace cafe meet some good vibes drive down together not far at all

Dre

1st Gear

Status
    The LM's that were on my S3 were 8.5" and ET35, whilst the ones on my A4 were 9.5" and ET35, they were both replicas as well as I like yourself and most others couldn't afford the £3k+ price tag for a genuine set of LM's! The CH's on my current S3 on the other hand are genuine.
    Ah i see nice. Im gonna have to look into getting some LM reps they look too good, ive always wanted some.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Ah i see nice. Im gonna have to look into getting some LM reps they look too good, ive always wanted some.
    Can't go wrong with any BBS rims mate, LM's are classic and always will be.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dre_S3 View Post
    Lovely car mate I like your style you should come to the next ace cafe meet some good vibes drive down together not far at all

Dre
    Ha, cheers mate, now that would look pretty damn good, us both travelling down to ace with our cars looking near on the same! But unfortunately I won't be able to make the ace night as my wife will be going into hospital the day after for a planned c section for our 3rd child to be born, so that over rules anything obviously, otherwise I would of definitely been up for a convoy down there, haven't been to ace for a good few years now, used to go all the time for the Jap nights before they got banned.

4th Gear

Status
    Ha, cheers mate, now that would look pretty damn good, us both travelling down to ace with our cars looking near on the same! But unfortunately I won't be able to make the ace night as my wife will be going into hospital the day after for a planned c section for our 3rd child to be born, so that over rules anything obviously, otherwise I would of definitely been up for a convoy down there, haven't been to ace for a good few years now, used to go all the time for the Jap nights before they got banned.
    your a brave man i have 2 and thats enough lol maybe in the future once your settled with the new addition congrats by the way
    hopefully by then my s3 will be remaped and will keep up with yours lol

atb

dre

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Wow, a stunning example and very clean too!!

Loving the detail of the stitch as well, very impressive, liking the previous marques as well, looks like you have had a good run on the Audi front

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dre_S3 View Post
    your a brave man i have 2 and thats enough lol maybe in the future once your settled with the new addition congrats by the way
    hopefully by then my s3 will be remaped and will keep up with yours lol

atb

dre
    Lol, it is a bit of a brave move I must admit, especially as our youngest is only 18 months old as it is! But it's all worth it, they don't stay young for long so gotta make the most of it. Will definitely be up for a future meet down at ace once things are settled though, maybe in the summer. Thanks for the congrats by the way mate!

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilz View Post
    Wow, a stunning example and very clean too!!

Loving the detail of the stitch as well, very impressive, liking the previous marques as well, looks like you have had a good run on the Audi front
    Thanks a lot mate! I love the stitch detailing too, a nice individual touch that. Thanks for the comment about the previous audi's too, there's actually one missing though, I've also owned a an 8L A3 1.8T sport that was running a dyne proven 254 bhp with plenty of handling upgrades too, that was fun and sounded nuts the way milltek used to pop and bang on that!

Neutral

Status
    Wow, she is a beauty. Your other two look awesome too. Hard to believe this has covered 155k miles!
    Lightweight Signature.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrees View Post
    Wow, she is a beauty. Your other two look awesome too. Hard to believe this has covered 155k miles!
    Cheers mate! yeah it does look bloody good now for the mileage, but it was pretty rough when I bought it and it's taken a lot of time and effort to get it looking this good now, but well worth it!

1st Gear

Status
    Haha, cheers mate, I love LM's, they did look good on my old Ming Blue S3, but the looked even better on my old A4.........
    Out of interest why did you sell your b6 a4 and get he s3? She was a beauty.

Looking good, good taste bud!
    A3 PD130 TDI Quattro - the discerning mans choice
    (or as I like to think of it the rarer more exclusive S3 derv edition)

5th Gear

Status
    Latest S3 looks great - I think it was at GTI International on the AS.net stand in 2010. Why did you sell the others though? The red in particular is really nice.

We also have 3 kids (5, 3 and 1) and I know what you mean about them not staying young for long. Making me feel older too! At least you've had the same number of S3s as kids though... That's a good average.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    Out of interest why did you sell your b6 a4 and get he s3? She was a beauty.Looking good, good taste bud!
    Thanks a lot mate! I sold the A4 to buy 2 cars with the money, the wife needed a bigger car for the carting the kids around in and I bought myself one with the money left over. The great thing is that we managed to get her an absolute peach of an '04 vauxhall zafira which was like new! That's now the family car for when we go out as a family or go away for a weekend etc, came with a massive roof box too which was a bonus, and that meant I could get what ever car I wanted for myself as I didn't need to worry about it being big enough etc.

Az
    Hard slammed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Latest S3 looks great - I think it was at GTI International on the AS.net stand in 2010. Why did you sell the others though? The red in particular is really nice.

We also have 3 kids (5, 3 and 1) and I know what you mean about them not staying young for long. Making me feel older too! At least you've had the same number of S3s as kids though... That's a good average.
    That's interesting, previous owner never mentioned that he took it to any shows, then again he didn't mention that he was a member on here either. I loved the Misano red one but sold it to help fund the last bit of our wedding.

Glad I'm not the only one who has 3 kids and still likes to have a nice hot hatch to drive around in! I'm too much of a petrol head to give it up for anyone.