Annoying noise... I might be overly paranoid!!!

S3lvo

Reaction score
Hey guys, Hope everyone's well.

Wonder if anyone has had this before. When I'm off the power at speed 60-70mphs, or rolling along in 4th at 30-35mph on a smooth road (rare in England) I get a bit of a burbling/vibrating noise, for want of a better description! As soon as I brake, or get on the power it's not there, neither is it there when still and idling. My dad noticed it, but he's a bit of a petrol head too... and no-one else has, hence my thought about me being paranoid! There is no actual vibration feeling, so no brake disc warp problems and hopefully nothing to do with drive or prop shafts.

Things I think it could be...

- Just a normal noise for S3's - Matt's paranoia!
- Possible slightly blowing exhaust, but I have had a good listen on idle sticking my head under and really can't hear it blowing, it does burble a bit, but only in a good sounding way
- worn CVs, worn bushes, worn ball joint etc - but again, no actual feeling (I do need some suspension bits and bobs replacing though as do have some creaks)
- Something loose... but not sure what!

Had some big work done recently, cambelt, haldex service, rocker cover gasket and cam chain cover gasket - noise was there before and still is after, so nothing gone awry during works either.

So at a buit of a loss really!! Pretty sure it's not a big problem or a big deal, but would love to hear if someone has had the same and cured/fonud what it was!

Cheers all,

Matt

Oh.. to add as well, got all the wheels off the other day to check for loose bits... couldn't really find any! Everything does feel fine. I do have neuspeed arbs back and front, don't know if that may change things.

One thing I did notice is a bit of a gash in one of my tyres. In the middle of the tread, about a couple of milimeters wide and about 6-7cm long. God knows how it got there, but I would have thought if that was the problem I would also get smoe sensation through the wheel? Which I don't!

A conundrum dear friends!!

Oh.. to add as well, got all the wheels off the other day to check for loose bits... couldn't really find any! Everything does feel fine. I do have neuspeed arbs back and front, don't know if that may change things.

One thing I did notice is a bit of a gash in one of my tyres. In the middle of the tread, about a couple of milimeters wide and about 6-7cm long. God knows how it got there, but I would have thought if that was the problem I would also get smoe sensation through the wheel? Which I don't!

A conundrum dear friends!!

Don't worry about it mate, if there is nothing hanging off, then meh.

Reactions: Benjiman46